Spyware.Perfect - Advice needed

Reaction score
Hi
My PC is currently running XP SP2 (recently upgraded from SP1) with Norton 2005 Internet Security which I update regularly. I have also installed SpyBot S&D.
My problem...

A recent full system scan with Norton showed I have four threats from Syware.Perfect. Files are bpk.exe, bsdhooks.dll, setup.exe and wed.dll. An attempt at delete by Norton failed.

Did a full system scan in Safe Mode with System Restore off which when completed showed No Detections.

On going back to normal mode the files still showed. Looked up removal advice at Norton but on checking registry could not file any of the subkeys they recommend to delete.

Could someone please advise me if the identified files remain a threat and does SpyBot get rid of Spyware.Perfect? If they do remain a threat how can I get them off my system?

Any advice would be most gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
From what I can see via Google where others have reported a similar detection with NAV - it could be a 'false positive' or NAV is detecting files it has already quarantined.

Try these online AV scans and see if they come up with anything:

Trend Micro
Panda ActiveScan

Make sure you de-activate Norton first - also consider getting a decent AV suite such as Kaspersky ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
Spyware.Perfect

Hi Adyweb
Many thanks for your reply and help with this. Used ActiveScan which came up with similar results although it identified the results as potentially unwanted tools as opposed to specific threats on my system. I got their Pro version but it also did not 'disinfect' (to use their term) the identied files.

From their information about the files they say that these are low level potential threats and recommend the purchase of their software to protect my system in future and to remove any sources of likely trouble.

Till you mentioned them I had never heard of Kaspersky. I have taken a look at their site and was wondering if you have an opinion which in order of merit is better, Panda or Kaspersky? It seems NAV is not perhaps the best tool for the job.

Apologies for not replying sooner.

Drifter

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
From their information about the files they say that these are low level potential threats and recommend the purchase of their software to protect my system in future and to remove any sources of likely trouble.
Any software that stats this should be avoided at all costs ... ;)

I'll second the motion, KAV :thumb:

Ask a Question