    expected. I read that sometimes the Ciadoor.B trojan can register as
    spoolsv.exe but I am confident this is not the case on this particular
    machine. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

    Shawn Modersohn, Nov 18, 2005

  2. how can you be so sure that this is not the case

    typical computer geek, Nov 18, 2005

  3. From: "Shawn Modersohn" <>

    | For some reason the print spooler is using 99% cpu on a xp sp2 machine.
    | As soon as I stop this service the computer runs as fast as would be
    | expected. I read that sometimes the Ciadoor.B trojan can register as
    | spoolsv.exe but I am confident this is not the case on this particular
    | machine. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

    You might be confident, but, you havent proven it isn't the "Backdoor.Ciadoor.B"

    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
    This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

    file.

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Nov 18, 2005
  4. David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Shawn Modersohn" <>
    >
    > | For some reason the print spooler is using 99% cpu on a xp sp2 machine.
    > | As soon as I stop this service the computer runs as fast as would be
    > | expected. I read that sometimes the Ciadoor.B trojan can register as
    > | spoolsv.exe but I am confident this is not the case on this particular
    > | machine. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
    >
    > You might be confident, but, you havent proven it isn't the "Backdoor.Ciadoor.B"
    >
    > Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Multi_AV.exe
    >
    > To use this utility, perform the following...
    > Execute; Multi_AV.exe { Note: You must use the default folder C:\AV-CLS }
    > Choose; Unzip
    > Choose; Close
    >
    > Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT
    > { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS }
    >
    > NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE to go through your
    > FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files.
    >
    > C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT -- { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS}
    > This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
    > This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
    > The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.
    >
    > You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can
    > download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. Once you have downloaded the files
    > needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into Safe Mode [F8 key
    > during boot] and re-run the menu again and choose which scanner you want to run in Safe
    > Mode. It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and Normal Mode.
    >
    > When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more comprehensive PDF help
    > file.
    >

    > * * * Please report back your results * * *

    Panda didn't report anything (for whatever that is worth I know)and
    netstat didn't show anything on the trojans default port. At any rate I
    will try the multi_ave.exe utility and report the results. Thanks to
    everyone for replying so far.

    Shawn Modersohn, Nov 18, 2005
  5. Shawn Modersohn

    Dan Conrad Guest

    Shawn Modersohn wrote:
    > For some reason the print spooler is using 99% cpu on a xp sp2 machine.
    > As soon as I stop this service the computer runs as fast as would be
    > expected. I read that sometimes the Ciadoor.B trojan can register as
    > spoolsv.exe but I am confident this is not the case on this particular
    > machine. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

    I had the same issue and when I looked at the printers some microsoft
    image documents were waiting to print -- deleted these and everything
    was fine.

    Dan Conrad, Nov 18, 2005
  6. Shawn Modersohn wrote:
    > For some reason the print spooler is using 99% cpu on a xp sp2 machine.
    > As soon as I stop this service the computer runs as fast as would be
    > expected. I read that sometimes the Ciadoor.B trojan can register as
    > spoolsv.exe but I am confident this is not the case on this particular
    > machine. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

    It was not a virus at all, rather 25 added non existent printers each
    with about 100 documents waiting to print. Thanks for all the
    suggestions.

    Shawn Modersohn, Nov 21, 2005