Spoolsv.exe

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Leon, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. Leon

    Leon Guest

    Hi all,

    Running a Windows XP Professional and the spooler service keeps eating up
    all CPU power. It work in cycles and the cpu usage history show picks and
    troffs all the time witht he spoolsv.exe process been the cause.

    I have none of the registry keys the following pages talk about:

    Backdoor.Ciadoor.B - Symantec Corporation
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.ciadoor.b.html

    Hacktool.Privshell - Symantec Corporation
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/hacktool.privshell.html

    VBS.Masscal.Worm (vbs) - Symantec Corporation
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.masscal.worm.html

    Graybird-A @ Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojgraybirda.html

    I also found this page with outher related information:

    You will be able to end this through task manager!

    --

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263201&sd=tech

    Spoolsv.exe - You cannot end this process from Task Manager.

    The spooler service is responsible for managing spooled print/fax jobs.

    --

    Virus Precaution:

    The spoolsv.exe which is from Microsoft is located in the
    c:\windows\System32 folder. We've been able to find several viruses that run
    as spoolsv to trick you.

    But none of the above helps me out in solving this issue, Sophos AVP is upto
    date and done extensive scans for spyware as well.
    Can anyone suggest another avenue i can tackle to stop this service eating
    my cpu usage. thx.

    Leon, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Leon

    Guest Guest