SpeedFan Results

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I thought I'd better begin a new thread, seeing that the other one was getting a bit off-topic from CoreTemp - so hope that's right.

I've installed SpeedFan and a message popped up to say: "IT8712F support was improved.
Please, have a look at CONFIG / ADVANCED and read the help file about how to configure Advanced Options." However, I've not altered anything at all (mainly because I'm not sure about what I'm doing.)

So just looking at the readout, this is what SpeedFan reports:

Attachments

• SpeedFan.jpg
    SpeedFan.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,864

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Nope, no need to 'configure' anything there TC ... we were just looking for conformation that your CPU is running a wee bit HOT.

Despite CoreTemp being the better temp monitor to use, it is nice to be able to confirm suspicions. The BIOS of the MB will also give you a good idle reading as there will be nothing loaded via the OS to interfere.

Temp monitors are only as accurate as the sensors they use, but they provide us with a good enough guide to diagnose any potential heat or lack of cooling problems.

I advise contacting your PC vendor and arrange for them to sort it out ... those temps, in my opinion, are too high.

As a guide, I attached two images from my system ... I know you have a different CPU but, according to AMD temp specs, we should see the same-ish readings.

You can still use your PC, until you get it picked up, but do not do any crunching or heavy gaming, at least don't allow the CPU to reach 70C ... that is putting an unnecessary strain on it and could lead to a burn out.

Attachments are CT1 full load crunchin ... CT2 idle temp crunchin at sleep.

:user:

Attachments

• coretemp1.JPG
    coretemp1.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 439
  • coretemp2.JPG
    coretemp2.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 378

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That ZALMAN CNPS9700 TRITIUM that you have installed is the silver one like mine but bigger, so that should be ample to cool your cpu. (This one.)

Your mb (ASUS M2N-SLI DeLuxe) (Got your spec from the other thread.) should have good temp sensors, asus usually do....

Your attachment....

A few things i'm wondering about...

1. It should at least report the cpu fan speed as that would be plugged in to the mb fan header. It maybe worth checking its plugged in. (Unlikly, but did they use the Zalman Fan mate speed control for the cpu cooler? If they did it maybe set to minimum.)
2. 'Speed 3' is the control for 'fan 3' should be on 100% maybe?
3. I would tick the auto fan speed box imo.

:)

attachment.php

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Crikey Mucks, that is a heck of a difference to mine, isn't it :eek:

V_R you ask :

"(Unlikly, but did they use the Zalman Fan mate speed control for the cpu cooler? If they did it maybe set to minimum.)"

How would I set about checking that please? Also, is it significant that on the SpeedFan (as in the previous attachment) I can see that "Speed03" is set at 0% so wondered whether that signifies that something is indeed un-plugged or not working? (I have since ticked the Automatic fan speed box)

If I have a word with the vendors... should I mention that I used SpeedFan and/or CoreTemp to check things out, do you think?

muckshifter

Reaction score
I give fair warning ... Speed fan should not be used if you do not know how to use it ... it ain't perfect.

First of all, you have to identify which temperature sensor is which, Speedfan uses the MB sensors and not the actual Core sensors ... I only use Speedfan as a guide to determine the fact that TC's system is running hot.

TC ... tell them your CPU is running hot ... CoreTemp will give a more accurate reading, as I said, I just wanted conformation from another program ... tell 'em what I just said.

Pop into the BIOS for me, I think you know how, if not ask, look for the hardware monitoring ... what does it say ... make NO changes and exit without saving.

:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Understood Mucks :thumb: I shall have a word and see what they say :nod: (Sorry about delay in replying, but I had to break off to do something else here :) )

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Understood Mucks :thumb: I shall have a word and see what they say
nod.gif
(Sorry about delay in replying, but I had to break off to do something else here :) )
No problem, but your phone is still engaged. :p

What we need to do when ordering any future PCs from anyone, is to ask 'em to load Boinc up, and run it for a few hours. :D

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That's a good point regarding BOINC .... I wonder whether your Beta version is making a difference?

Ooh-er, yes, I am on the internet - were you trying to tinkle..? :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
That's a good point regarding BOINC .... I wonder whether your Beta version is making a difference?
A difference, err, only in that it behaves and doesn't 'crash' when I have to reboot ... as temps go, if you are running at full load with any program, the HSF should be good enough to hold the temp down. ;)

Please TC, do not be tempted to run Boinc before we can categorically state your temps are good to go ... just looking at your idle temps is enough for me to say it ... any normal use, excluding heavy games & Boinc, will not overly stress that CPU, but it needs checking out.

Run Coretemp minimised so you an keep an eye on the temps ... keep it under 60c
nod.gif

user.gif

Ooh-er, yes, I am on the Internet - were you trying to tinkle..? :)
only once or twice or five times ... I err, is very concerned over them temps. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thought I'd chime in, hehe :D

The motherboard CD should have it's own temp monitoring software, all ASus mothernoards have this thing, it's called PC Probe.

I have two ASus motherboards, an Intel One and an AMD one (I have both so I can argue with myself all day long which make of CPU is best :D ) and both use PC Probe.

The Intel board has an E6600 dual core 2.6 and the AMD board has a single core 2.6Ghz chip.

Both run at about 47C at 100% CPU usage (crunching), according to their own software.

TC, find your motherboard CD, uninstall Speedfan, install PC Probe from the motherboard CD, and see what that says.

Oh, and I have two Zalman coolers as well, they're good.

The limiter device V_R refers to is a small black box fitted between the CPU cooler and wherever it takes it's power from, usually a motherboard header, and it's (obviously) inside the case. You'd have to take the side panel off to see if one's fitted.

And finally, yes, if those temps are true, they're too high.

Rule of thumb for CPU temp is: anything 50C and under is acceptable. Anything over 50C may lead to instability - and often does.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi there Flopps
happywave.gif
and thank you for your reply :D

Floppybootstomp said:
The motherboard CD should have it's own temp monitoring software, all ASus mothernoards have this thing, it's called PC Probe. TC, find your motherboard CD, uninstall Speedfan, install PC Probe from the motherboard CD, and see what that says.

Before my original post, I did happen to check-out the CD which was supplied with the MB, and for just that little gizmo - the PC Probe. When I ran the CD, there was an error message, telling me this:
"Motherboard Support CD does not support this operating system (WNT_6.0H_MCE)" When I checked, it was the wrong CD (meant for the nForce 570 Series, and not the M2N-SLI which is installed.) As I mentioned in my other thread, I contacted the supplier, but their reply was:

We are unable to send a Vista compatible Motherboard CD, this is due to ASUS not supplying any CD’s with the Motherboards as yet, this will change very shortly and there will be Vista compatiable discs. Please contact within the next 2 months to see if this is available.

That is when Mucks and V_R suggested that I download CoreTemp and Speedfan - which alerted me to the high temps.... or more accurately, alerted those gentlemen who are more knowledgeable than myself ;)

The biggest temp rise seems to be when I open BOINC - which of course, I'm not doing at the moment, because that produces an instant rise in temp to 70+ deg C. Ordinary surfing and usage seem to keep temps to around 48 - 52 deg C approx.

Yesterday evening I sent off an e-mail to the supplier, and I'm hoping to hear something from them today. I've only had the PC for a fortnight, so will have to be a bit careful not to void the warranty :rolleyes:
wallbash.gif

Ask a Question