SP2 and net sharing

Larry Waibel

I had an SP1 configuration working just fine that allowed me to map a drive
letter from my network to the target system. In upgrading to SP2 I had to
pare the system back and change the core networking to not include Windows
Firewall, etc. Now I get a First I found that it lost the computer name so I
put that back in a 'System error 67...The network name cannot be found' when
I try to 'net use' to the target. First I found that the computer name had
been lost from the TD so I put that back in. But it still doesn't work. I
can do a 'net use' from the target to my desktop and map a drive letter that
way but not vice versa. I have the 'TCP/IP Networking with File Sharing and
Client for MS Networks' component. I can't figure out what I'm missing; any
ideas?

Larry Waibel

More information: If I do a 'net share' on the target, it says "The server
service is not started.' When I say 'y' to start it, I get 'System error
126...The specified module cannot be found'.

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Larry,

I have not gone too much deep in SP2 yet :-(
But have you tried backing this project and resolving all dependencies again (including FW), just to see if it work.
In case that it work then you should use filemon to check whenther you need some dll file (component) in case that you have them all
then there is some registry setting that need to be present.

Regards,
Slobodan

Larry Waibel

I guess I can try something like that but it's a pain and time-consuming when I already had
something working. I can tell you that this SP2 upgrade is the worst upgrade of anything
I've ever run into, including lots of applications and OS upgrades. The idea of an upgrade
should be to keep things that were working still working and make new features available
when wanted.

And if putting everything in (including FW) does work then I'm still not sure what I would
filemon since this appears to be some kind of service file that's not there. Maybe I can
try monitoring 'net share' on my regular XP system and see if I can discover anything that
way.

From: "Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: SP2 and net sharing
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:48:57 +0200
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded

Larry,

I have not gone too much deep in SP2 yet :-(
But have you tried backing this project and resolving all dependencies again (including FW), just to see if it work.
In case that it work then you should use filemon to check whenther you need some dll file
(component) in case that you have them all

KM

Larry,

I am just wondering if you have "Credential Management User Interface"
component included in your configuration?

KM

Larry Waibel

Yes, I do have that.

From: "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 00:24:18 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded

Larry,

I am just wondering if you have "Credential Management User Interface"
component included in your configuration?

KM

Larry,

I have the exact same problem after installing SP2, I was wondering if you
managed to fix this issue and if so "How"

Regards

Dave

KM

David,

What exactly problem you are talking about?
"net share"?

Did you tweak Firewall settings on your SP2 image?

I had an image that was created using XPE SP 1 and everything worked fine. I
upgraded to XPE SP 2 and upgraded the image and then installed it on the same
hardware. My Server Service now fails to load so I can not use UNC
\\MachineName\C to connect to the machine.

This only happended after I upgraded to XPE SP 2

KM

David,

I see.

Assuming you've got all the dependencies resolved when you upgraded to SP2 (this had probably changed the image footprint, right?)
you may want to check whether the following components are in your image:
"Credential Management User Interface"
"Home Networking Monitory Library"
"Internet Connection Sharing and Firewall" (actually, on SP2 it should be "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)")
"Network Setup Wizard" (optional but may be good for testing purposes to add and resolve dependencies)

Let us know if you resolve the issue.

Larry Waibel

My problem was that 'hnetcfg.dll' wasn't part of the dependencies and I had to
create a component to bring it in.