Sound Cards

Reaction score
Hi,

Does any one know of any good quality Sound Cards for Gaming I have an Onboard Realtek AC 97 HD audio chip and its rubbish most games that I play are crackly even with the latest drives. So I am looking to buy a sound card.

Also can you but a PCI expansion boards for mother boards?

Can someone please advise me on the above.

Thanks,

wizkid

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I can fully recommend the X-FI Extreme Music, sounds 10x better than onboard. :)

Reaction score
V_R said:
...and they're all pap! Sorry but if your going for one of them, may as well just stick to onboard. :)
Well as a 'maplin white box' fan i agree some would not buy them.
But not a gamer so that may explain a bit.:blush:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I've got Realtek AC 97 onboard not sure if its HD though and my 5.1 system does not crackle at all . Sounds pretty good to with plenty of sound effects . Obviously not as good as a dedicated card I guess . The drivers I'm using are WDM_A400.exe can't remember where I got em from , mebees Guru .

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Hi,

Do you think the cracklying is down to the speakers that I am using logitech x-230 ?

Could someone help me on this.

Thanks,

wizkid

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Could be can you borrow a set of desktop speakers from a mate to check ? Or run your Hi Fi through the pc .

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've never been quite able to work out what the difference is between the Gamer and Music editions :confused:

Apart from a tenner of course :D

There's a difference in software as well eh? Is that what the price difference is about then?

Anybody care to enlighten a poor boy who's too lazy to look it up himself? ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well as far as i know the gamer only has one Software mode. But has the 64mb Xram, and from what i've read in the real world means not a lot, so imo the extra tenner could go towards a pair of speaker/headphones instead. :)

Where as the Music has the 3 different modes depending on what you do.

Like this..

1196529914.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks V_R for pictures and infomation.

I am going for the Xtreme gamer card.

Can you find it cheaper than OC UK?

X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional Series. Is there any point speding £100 pound and getting XRAM?

Could you please let me know.

Thanks,

wizkid

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Thanks V_R for pictures and infomation.

I am going for the Xtreme gamer card.
Why?

Can you find it cheaper than OC UK?
Ebuyer, I'd get the Music for £49 Its a whole £1 more than the Gamer, and imo better. ;)

X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional Series. Is there any point speding £100 pound and getting XRAM?
See my above posts.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
wizkid said:

I don't think so.

However, this deal may be worth considering, Fatality Card & Gamer's Headset for £90.00 Link

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, if that's your decision, so be it, but unless you go for the offer I posted a link to where you get a 'free' set of gamer's headphones, I seriously think you're throwing money away tbh.

After looking at what V_R has to say above I have to say if I was in the market for a Creative Sound card I'd go for the X-Fi Extreme Music, as it has some good audio software and a gamer's mode as well.

But as there is still an issue between Creative drivers and Windows Vista, I shall hold back.

I have the 'X-Fi' Extreme Audio sound card myself which I found out after purchasing isn't really an X-Fi card at all :mad: Creative need their wrists slapped for false marketing.

I think were I to upgrade I'd probably go for the Razer sound card but as it's £140.00 and I am currently skint, that option is on hold for the moment ;)

Reaction score
I have the Fatal1ty version.

XRAM will shine in future games when games utilize it. Some games already do such as BF2412, and people say they get a good FPS boost compared to onboard sound.

Ask a Question