HELP...UT3 and GRID wont run...Sound Card to blame?

Reaction score
I recently bought and installed the X-FI xtream gamer sound card. Ive been playing FarCry 2 and Crysis Warhead, with no problems. I came to play GRID and UT3, and they just froze at the splash screens? Tried multiple times, and same result having to end the App in task manager?

All my GPU and sound card drivers are upto date. I tried to look up the problem, and it seems that the OpenAL that X-FI cards use to 'restore' sound in windows games in Vista, does not work in all games? Someone suggested that you have to disable the sound card in device manager, then re-enable the onboard sound (this allows you to play the games, but with no sound at all?). I tried that but it did not work for me?

Is there any other solutions? I thought there would be a more perminent solution by now?? Why have a 'gaming' sound card that does not work with big name games?
confused.gif

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Thats stange - i have the X-fi gamer fatality edition - i have both of the games and never had many problems with them
Then again i dont have Vista :D

maybe someone who does can help ya.

Reaction score
This is a strange one, I have the same soun card as you and I have never had any issues with GRID like this before. Is GRID fully patched? Are the drivers that you are using BETA or proper drivers if they are BETA ones then I advise you to remove them and install the proper drivers as I have had problmes with Creative BETA drivers before. If you add a card in the system then you need to make sure that onboard is disabled in BIOS.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Reaction score
I have all the latest drivers and patches, and im not using beta ones no.

I think the only option in my bios was, HD audio option, which im sure i disabled. Il have to make sure. The onboard sound is disabled in device manager though?

Reaction score
It will be if you have disabled he on board sound in the BIOS then Windows will not pick it up. Do you get any error messages when this happens? Have you tried a system restore back to when the problem was not happening?

Regards

Reaction score
I can not restore, as there are no restore points :(
And there are no error messages no. Just double click the game, splash screen loads up, and holds there, no matter how long you leave it. Only option is to Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and end application in task manager (it does show that its 'not responding').

Reaction score
OK did this work when you were using the onboard sound? Have you tried downloading this run this in safe mode and remove any traces it find to do with the onboard sound drivers. Then go back into windows and remove the creative ones through add and remove programs. Then start up in safe mode again and run Driver sweeper again to remove any traces of the drivers left behind, then go ahead with a fresh install again with the creative drivers. I would also recommend downloading this it will clear any unnessecery files that windows does not need, during the install untick install yahoo tool bar. Once installed run it and also run the registry tool as well remember to make a back up before you make any changes to the registry.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Ask a Question