Sound Card issues!

Reaction score
Hey there!

I have windows xp, the sound card is default with my Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard and it's called Soundmax Digital HD audio... I believe.. (or that may just be the name of the software, i'm not 100% sure)

In any case, recently i have been having some troubles with my microphone. Upon plugging in and attemping to use 2 microphones, it is just stated that the pc "can't hear anything" and that my microphones aren't working (the second attempt was with a brand new microphone).

So i'm wondering what is wrong... All my audio settings are set to "sound max HD audio" as default, and all the settings APPEAR to be ok on the software itself... But i still can't hear anything/say anything through my new headset.

A peculiar and strange note:

Upon using the "skype call testing service" (It plays back a message that you record with your microphone to see if it works)... I found that i could hear a rat-a-tat-tat of my keyboard very faintly... And with my head pressed to the speakers... i could vaguely hear the music in the room adjacent to me...

Thinking this was the microphone... but really quiet... i unplugged it, left it out, and tried again. and with NO microphone plugged in, i could still hear this tapping of the keyboard as if my pc has a tiny microphone somewhere.

I have no idea... maybe i'm just delusional :D

please help!

If you need any more info i'll happily give whatever you need :(

Reaction score
Oh and another note:

With my older headset... after a while i would have to press my mouth against the microphone to get it to produce my voice on Skype.

After a while it just stopped working, at the time i presumed it was just the headset dying... but in hindsight it may be a clue to the case of the annoying sound card!

Reaction score
Gonna sound silly but....
You sure you plugged them in the right way round.
A speaker can act as a mic but very quietly and vica versa.

Secondly... have you turned mic boost on ?

Reaction score
Hey! A "silly question" is better than no reply at all :D

But i can't blame you for asking.
Yep! I have them in the right way around, and after just checking... the mic boost IS on.

Also, as a side note... i have just tried 2 microphones in a laptop my mother owns.

Both work fine on the laptop... but not on the pc! :(

Is there a way to re-install the sound card or something? :S

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update:

I have been able to locate a button that said "Front panel microphone"

Not knowing what it was i unticked it... and... well everything is ok now :D

So i'll thank you Jaling... Because if i never went seeking the microphone boost option, then i wouldn't have found this! :D

Thanks ^^ x

Last edited:

Ask a Question