Sony embarrasses itself again

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
THIS STORY FROM GEEK.COM TODAY

In 2005, Sony began releasing audio CDs, which if played on a Windows-based computer would install some hidden software behind the scenes. This installation was completely unknown to the users and was extremely cleverly crafted. The installed software is called a “root kit.”
It was so successful at getting to the root of the system, below all normal levels of software, that it was taken, modified, and exploited by hackers. Several articles were written claiming that the work was brilliant. It was a freely available software program (well, for the cost of a new Sony audio CD with the software installed), which, if modified properly, could take complete control over a Windows-based computer

When confronted with the reality that this software was actually so damaging and being exploited by hackers, Sony did nothing. At least not at first. And not for a long time. It was only after a huge public outcry that Sony did anything about it. It was a huge embarrassment for the corporation and one that is still in the back of all of our minds to this day. But the embarrassment hasn’t stopped there.

We now learn that Sony is actually suing the company that created the software used in their rootkit. The company is trying to shift the blame from itself onto some other company...

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Yea, i heard about the rootkit problem back when i came out.
dont know what they were thinking.

Reaction score
Did sony get fine for this?

Both company are too blame here, a audio cd should just be audio nothing else.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Which is why I actually hate Sony with a passion - I will never ever ever knowingly purchase another one of their products.

A shame, cos once they were good.

Did we mention the thousands of faulty laptop batteries they produced?

Or the way all their Playstations and PSP's are overpriced everywhere except Japan and the USA? And why we have to wait 6 months for that product?

They actually make the X-Box 360 (produced by Microsoft) look like a clean and desirable product, which is no mean feat on Sony's part.

I really do hate them.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Link to full story

All of you who trust Sony and think their products are good - think again.

Sony BMG … you have disgraced yourself to the max at this point. I am beyond disgusted with your behavior here. Not only did you first employ the rootkit to try to make more money, but you were the company that purchased the software. You authorized its purchase. You signed off on its testing. You realized what you were doing, because there are a huge number of steps from not having this kind of software installed on an audio CD to then having it installed on an audio CD. You have done it all. You are responsible. You made the decisions. And you must live with the consequences of those decisions. It ends with you, whether you realize it or not.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Which is why I actually hate Sony with a passion - I will never ever ever knowingly purchase another one of their products.

A shame, cos once they were good.

Did we mention the thousands of faulty laptop batteries they produced?

Or the way all their Playstations and PSP's are overpriced everywhere except Japan and the USA? And why we have to wait 6 months for that product?

They actually make the X-Box 360 (produced by Microsoft) look like a clean and desirable product, which is no mean feat on Sony's part.

I really do hate them.

I agree with you all the way floppy.

Funny sony have,nt been blame for price fixing yep?

Is,nt funny the psp is old now and still over price, can you get this in the shops for 100 pounds with a game brand new?

There phones are over price,laptop,tv,games machine,etc.

Last edited:

Ask a Question