Sony CEO: Playstation Network is "more secure" than ever

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The cyber attacks that caused Sony to shut down its Playstation Network for weeks earlier this year are now just a bad memory for the company. That's the message that Sony's CEO Howard Stringer gave to the press this week during a trade event in Berlin. News.com reports that Stringer said, "This year, we at Sony have been flooded, we've been flattened, we've been hacked, we've been singed. But the summer of our discontent is behind us."

Stringer's words refer to the cyber attacks that were conducted back on April 20 on the Playstation Network's servers along with the servers run by Sony Online Entertainment. The hackers behind the attack gained access to tens of millions of users' personal information. Sony shut down the online gaming services for weeks in order to improve their security. The Playstation Network started to slowly come back online in May and was fully restored in all parts of the world in July.

Stringer's speech this week gave an update on the Playstation Network's status since its restoration. He said, "I'm pleased to tell you that the PSN is more secure and better than ever. We are aggressively expanding its content. We have more than 3 million new customers since the network came back online, and sales are exceeding what we had before the cyber attacks." The Playstation Network is now a sub-section of the company's newly announced Sony Entertainment Network which was announced this week, along with Sony's Music Unlimited and Movies Unlimited online services.

Source: Neowin

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I sure hope so (as a PSN customer)... but I bet there are people who just see this as a challenge.

Let's hope some lessons have been learned!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Same here, though it will be a while, if at all, until PSN gets my CC details again.....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, subjective journalism. Two takes. First, from above:

The cyber attacks that caused Sony to shut down its Playstation Network for weeks earlier this year are now just a bad memory for the company.

That's the opening line, the one that will stick in your memory, note the full stop, making it cut and dried.

Here's an alternative, it will require gathering a few quotes from the hack compiling the story but it shouldn't be a problem, a few quick phone calls or e-mails will do the trick.

Leading figures in the online computer community have been quick to criticise claims made by Sony today that cyber attacks which crippled it's Playstation network in the summer months are 'just a bad memory'.

CEO of leading Computer Forum PC Review.co.uk Ian Cunningham commented when hearing Sony's claims 'I do hope so but there are those in hacking circles who will see this as just a challenge. I am certain there will now be many attempts to cripple Sony's network and I for one am wary of releasing my personal details to Sony for the time being'.

Jed Flang, respected analyst working for computer security company Bugs R Us said: 'What a load of tosh.......

You get my drift?

It's all in the construction of the story what you want people to believe.

Any new candidate applying for a position as a Daily Mail news reporter should consider this knowledge indispensable before asking for work on that mighty news organ.

Ask a Question