Somebody please help!

Reaction score
Hey folks, I just joined the forum and sure could do with some help. The situation is like this -

There's an unknown virus/trojan running amok my machine. What happens is that if I click a hyperlink in IE or a folder icon in Explorer, I get a pop-up message. I'm not able to upload the screenshot - not sure if that has anything to do with the virus. What is says is "Attention,Lenovo! Some dangerous viruses detected in your system. Microsoft XP files corrupted.This may lead to destruction of important files in C:\Windows. Download protection software now. Click OK to download the antispyware. (Recommended)" I never clicked the "Yes" button fearing even worse could be triggered. What happens when I click "No" is that a webpage (http://free-viruscan.com/id/4912933/4/1/) is launched. This message does not appear when I click hyperlinks in Firefox though.

A few details about my system are listed below -

O/S: Windows XP Professional
Browser: IE7
Anti-Virus: Avast 4.8 (Free Version)
Anti-Spyware: Windows Defender

Both Avast and Defender did not detect or block this menace.

What I did then was to download PC Tools Spyware Doctor. On scanning the system, it detected and also "fixed" something called Trojan Downloader Delf. However the problem still persists. Fresh scans with this software end with a message saying "Congratulations! Your system is safe" or some nonsense like that. Yeah, right. I tried Spybot as well but even that tells me my system is as clean as a whistle :confused:

Can somebody please recommend a manual fix or point me to freeware that works? Let me know if you need more information. Thanks a ton!

Reaction score
Hi dis.monkey

Here is my economical solution, hope it works for you.

While I may not promote the use of more than one anti-virus, due to conflicting activities, I would suggest you try:

1. The free version of AVG (8) found at http://free.avg.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition#tba1 (and download the latest updates) for Anti-Virus Scan and run a full scan
2. Download a free Rootkit scan from Sophos at http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/sophos-anti-rootkit.html (just fill in the mandatory fields) - This is simply because if there's any Rootkit it will not be detected by AVG but Sophos will do justice to those rootkit.

kind regards.

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware are indeed your best options if you're doing this on your own.

AVG and Sophos will not be able to help you with this ;) . Unless the new version of Spybot has greatly improved it won't be of much help either.

Ask a Question