Somebody help me please aaarrrgggghhhh

Shirl70

Hi,

Just joined this forum in the faint hope that somebody can help m
without me shelling out hundreds of pounds to Mac Afee to fix m
problem. I have Mc Afee on my desktop with Windows XP and I someho
managed to get a virus which took all the icons the start menu an
taskbar off my desktop so the only way I can get into the internet i
through task manager. I recently bought Windows Live One Care which
was told will get rid of my virus which it has but alas my icons an
clock and start menu have not come back I have done a full scan an
there is no infections or problems with it now but I am being drive
mad with these icons, the only thing I have on my screen on start up i
my desktop pic. I have to go into task manager to get onto internet o
e-mail but I can't get into everything from here ie control panel etc.
Any help at all is greatly appreciated as I am ready for throwing it ou
of the window (boo hoo!)

Thanks in advance

Shir

Jim

Shirl70 said:
Hi,

Just joined this forum in the faint hope that somebody can help me
without me shelling out hundreds of pounds to Mac Afee to fix my
problem. I have Mc Afee on my desktop with Windows XP and I somehow
managed to get a virus which took all the icons the start menu and
taskbar off my desktop so the only way I can get into the internet is
through task manager. I recently bought Windows Live One Care which I
was told will get rid of my virus which it has but alas my icons and
clock and start menu have not come back I have done a full scan and
there is no infections or problems with it now but I am being driven
mad with these icons, the only thing I have on my screen on start up is
my desktop pic. I have to go into task manager to get onto internet or
e-mail but I can't get into everything from here ie control panel etc.
Any help at all is greatly appreciated as I am ready for throwing it out
of the window (boo hoo!)

Thanks in advance

Shirl
Those icons are just shortcuts. Sometimes the shortcuts disappear. Just
create new shortcuts for the programs that you want to use.

However, you will find that some of the program names are a bit obscure.
Just ask, and someone will tell you the program name and its location.

Jim

Ken Blake, MVP

[...]

Several points:

1. You haven't told us which virus you have, so it's very difficult to
give you specific help.

2. McAfee is the second worst anti-virus program available. Only
Norton is worse. I certainly don't recommend "shelling out hundreds of
pounds to McAfee."

3. Windows Live One Care isn't much better than McAfee, and Microsoft,
recognizing its weakness, has announced that they are discontinuing
it.

4. The best anti-virus program is NOD32. Not quote as good, but still
pretty good are Avast and Avira; if cost is an issue for you, both
Avast and Avira are free.

5. Depending on what virus you get and how long it stays on your
computer, it may do irreparable damage, and your only recourse is to
clean-install Windows from scratch. For that reason, it's very
important that you ensure that you don't get infected in the first
place; just removing infections isn't always good enough.

6. Despite all I said above, your description of the problem doesn't
make it sound terrible. The icons on your desktop are normally just
shortcuts, and if that's your only problem, recreating shortcuts is
very easy. There's more than one way to do it, but here's an easy one:
find the exe file in Windows Explorer and right-drag it to the
desktop. Release the right-mouse button, and choose "Create shortcut
here."

7. The forum, pcbanter.net, that you posted from is nothing but a
company that leeches Microsoft newsgroup posts to put them on their
site. I strongly recommend that you discontinue its use and access the
Microsoft newsgroups directly. Do yourself a favor and switch to a
newsreader, such as Outlook Express, which comes with Windows XP, or
Windows Mail, which comes with Vista. See

Malke

Shirl70 said:
[...]

Uninstall McAfee thoroughly. Scan for malware, not skipping the prep work:

Windows Live OneCare isn't very good and Microsoft is discontinuing it. If
you can get your money back, I would do so and either purchase NOD32
antivirus or use the free Avast Antivirus. Do not install an antivirus
until you know the machine is clean since in all probability the
installation will fail and/or have problems. Do not install a new antivirus
until the old one is uninstalled.

Malke

Twayne

Shirl70 said:
Those icons are just shortcuts. Sometimes the shortcuts disappear.
Just create new shortcuts for the programs that you want to use.

However, you will find that some of the program names are a bit
obscure. Just ask, and someone will tell you the program name and its
location.
Jim

That would work well to get some of the needed programs running again.
It isn't a complete fix however, especially if the Desktop has been
turned off, or for the System Icons on the desktop. The root cause of
the problem will need to be located and repaired.

Twayne

Shirl70

--
Shirl70-
Those icons are just shortcuts. Sometimes the shortcuts disappear.
Just
create new shortcuts for the programs that you want to use.

However, you will find that some of the program names are a bit
obscure.
Just ask, and someone will tell you the program name and its location.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

Unfortunately it won't let me put anything onto my desktop with either
dragging or creating new shortcuts and my start menu and lower toolbar
have gone too ??????????

Regards

Touch Base

[...]

Hi Shirl,
I think this is the answer you may be looking for. It has saved me several
times when fixing clients computer after malware infestation. They think I
am God when everything comes back up after a reboot. The first time I did
this I was sceptical but had nothing to lose as I had gone through all the
different 'fixes' offered on most forums without a result including repair
installs.
This is simply magic.
http://www.pctechnow.blogspot.com/

Sunday, September 28, 2008
No Icons on XP Desktop after Cleaning Infected System.

Antivirus 2008, Antivirus XP, and other such software miscreants can leave
an XP desktop with no icons, no taskbar. They boot up normally otherwise and
are clean of malware, Trojans, root-kits, etc., but those bad programs have
leveraged their hooks into the operating system's start up although all
startup locations seem clean and none of the cleaners are detecting this
registry change as a problem (at least not at the time of this post).

There is a solution, a simple reg fix that all the big time tech forums
didn't have an answer to. It can be found right here
http://pctechnow.blogspot.com/2008/08/cant-find-explorerexe-when-run-from.html

Shirl70

Sunday, September 28, 2008
No Icons on XP Desktop after Cleaning Infected System.

Antivirus 2008, Antivirus XP, and other such software miscreants ca
leave
an XP desktop with no icons, no taskbar. They boot up normall
otherwise and
are clean of malware, Trojans, root-kits, etc., but those bad program
have
leveraged their hooks into the operating system's start up althoug
all
startup locations seem clean and none of the cleaners are detectin
this
registry change as a problem (at least not at the time of this post).

There is a solution, a simple reg fix that all the big time tec
forums
didn't have an answer to. It can be found right here
http://tinyurl.com/6vamtu

Thanks for that, going to have a go now and as you say I've nothing t
loose as I've tried every forum and search going. Not quite sure wher
to find the registry editor though without my start up menu, any ideas

Touch Base

'Touch Base[_3_ said:
;3235194']"Shirl70" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

<snip>

"Schloicka"
If it was that easy I would also have suggested using Malwarebytes and
although it did delete the offending trojan it did not find this key in the
registry which is why I have mentioned this procedure. If the OP gets a
result running MWB good luck but this is also an option if he does not get a
result with it.

"Shirl70"
Go to Start, click on Run, type regedit click OK regeditor will open,
navigate to this key as mention on the website;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
SOFTWARE\
Microsoft\
Windows NT\
CurrentVersion\
Click on the key Image File Execution Options
there will be a drop down list below this key, look for explorer.exe right
click on that name and select delete. Restart the computer.

Shirl70

Sunday, September 28, 2008
No Icons on XP Desktop after Cleaning Infected System.

Antivirus 2008, Antivirus XP, and other such software miscreants ca
leave
an XP desktop with no icons, no taskbar. They boot up normall
otherwise and
are clean of malware, Trojans, root-kits, etc., but those bad program
have
leveraged their hooks into the operating system's start up althoug
all
startup locations seem clean and none of the cleaners are detectin
this
registry change as a problem (at least not at the time of this post).

There is a solution, a simple reg fix that all the big time tec
forums
didn't have an answer to. It can be found right here
http://tinyurl.com/6vamtu

Hi Touch Base,

So what's your next trick turning water into wine perhaps ha ha.
Absolutely fantastic you are a saviour, this worked a treat and firs
time. I was about to give up and restore to factory settings an
thought I would give a forum a go as a last resort and hey presto you
wisdom came through for me. Anyone with the same problem please do tr
this, ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.

Many many thanks Shirl