SMTP server won't start

David Stuehler

When I try to start the SMTP server I get the following error message: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. Check the event viewer for details.

The event viewer shows no events associated with SMTP. I have searched MSDN with only two relevent results, one suggested a problem in the registry, the other in the services file. Neither was a problem. I am only running IIS.

Any help would be appreciated

Dave Stuehler

Mike Rosado [MSFT]

Hi David,

I'm by no means an expert on IIS nor SMTP, but since no one has responded thus far to your posting then I'll try to do my best to assist you. Have you checked or
tried out the workaround mentioned in the following article?

243008 IIS 5.0 Does Not Start if Client for Microsoft Networks Is Uninstalled
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=243008

--
Hope this helps,
Mike Rosado