Sluggish laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Herb, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. Herb

    Herb Guest

    I have a Windows XP laptop with a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 processor and 512 MB
    of RAM (see
    http://www.mobile-support.net/product_view.php?product_qa_id=13&size=min).

    Compared with my Windows 2000 PC with similar spec the laptop 'feels'
    considerably more sluggish - in fact when it has been running for a
    while sometimes things get so bad that it almost grinds to a halt when I
    have several applications running simultaneously.

    I realise that Windows XP requires more resources than Windows 2000, and
    I seem to remember being told once that laptops in general require more
    resources than PCs, but I wonder if there is anything I can do to
    improve the situation.

    Thank you.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

    Herb, Jan 7, 2006

  2. Herb

    Herb Guest

    On 07.01.2006 16:22 UK Time, doodle wrote:
    > Herb Wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Windows XP laptop with a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 processor and 512
    >>MB
    >>of RAM (see
    >>http://tinyurl.com/da3ur).
    >>
    >>Compared with my Windows 2000 PC with similar spec the laptop 'feels'
    >>considerably more sluggish - in fact when it has been running for a
    >>while sometimes things get so bad that it almost grinds to a halt when
    >>have several applications running simultaneously.
    >>
    >>I realise that Windows XP requires more resources than Windows 2000,
    >>and
    >>I seem to remember being told once that laptops in general require
    >>more
    >>resources than PCs, but I wonder if there is anything I can do to
    >>improve the situation.
    >>
    >>Thank you.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Herbert Eppel
    >>www.HETranslation.co.uk

    > The PC shouldnt be that slow since u have 512 RAM. Have you installed
    > any programs lately which might be starting at boot? Try keeping only
    > the essential stuff to load during startup. Examine ur HDD for trash,
    > run disk cleanup and chkdsk, Ananlyze for fragmentation and defrag. Are
    > u sure its free from nasties?

    Hi,

    just to clarify - it's my Windows XP laptop that is sluggish (my Windows
    2000 PC is fine).

    I have quite a lot of applications load it at startup, and I realise
    this slows down the boot process, but I don't mind that.

    The problem is that general performance appears to decrease
    exponentially during the course of a working day - I can bring it back
    to normal by rebooting, but it is a bit of a nuisance.

    I regularly analyze and defragment my hard disk using PerfectDisk 7. i
    also regularly check for "nasties", and I'm pretty sure that there
    aren't any.

    Perhaps the only things in your list I haven't done in a while is a
    proper disk cleanup and chkdsk.

    Is there anything else I can/should try?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

    Herb, Jan 7, 2006