Slow Worm

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Came across this on one of my walks. Threw the 10p down to get an idea of scale. Thought initially it was a snake but it is actually a Slow Worm, which is neither a snake nor a worm. :confused:

It is, in fact, a legless lizard !! No, not one that has had too much to drink but one that has, over eons, lost its legs in the evolutionary process. Strange that. You'd think legs were a better way of getting around than slithering about on your belly but nature is supposed to know best !

Also, not sure about its name - it was certainly quicker than any worm I've ever seen. Fast Worm would seem more appropriate. :D

Attachments

• SlowWormZ.jpg
    SlowWormZ.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 195

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh I've always wanted to see one of those! :D

Never seen a slow worm or adder in the wild :)

Thank you for sharing!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That's a good photo Niv, I've not seen one so clearly in the flesh (or should that be 'in the scale') just a quick glimpse years ago when gardening... gave me quite a fright, but I think the feeling was mutual :D

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Shouldn't this be in security, spyware & viruses? :D

Good photo nivrip, very clear!

I have seen one once, but I cannot for the life of me remember when. Must have been when I was little but I do remember what it looked like.

Ask a Question