slow computer

magineer02

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP, SP3 , Windows Firewall, Avast antivirus, Spywareblaster, and run Firefox for the Internet and all the programs work well together and are up to date.

Earlier today I noticed that my Internet pages were loading very slow and so I called Verizon because I thought it was a connectivity issue. After working with them for 5 hours where they ran a malware test using Malwarebytesand checked my settings I’m still where I was with slow loading pages.

Some pages like Yahoo come right up while others don’t load at all or arevery slow to load such as this Google page.

Does anyone have any suggestions and/or advice as to what the problem is and how to resolve it?

Than you,
Robert

philo

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP, SP3 , Windows Firewall, Avast antivirus, Spywareblaster, and run Firefox for the Internet and all the programs work well together and are up to date.

Earlier today I noticed that my Internet pages were loading very slow and so I called Verizon because I thought it was a connectivity issue. After working with them for 5 hours where they ran a malware test using Malwarebytes and checked my settings I’m still where I was with slow loading pages.

Some pages like Yahoo come right up while others don’t load at all or are very slow to load such as this Google page.

Does anyone have any suggestions and/or advice as to what the problem is and how to resolve it?

Than you,
Robert

Empty your Internet cache

and also set the size to some fairly small value such as 200 megs

==>
Edit, preferences, advanced, network

Ben Myers

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP, SP3 , Windows Firewall, Avast
antivirus, Spywareblaster, and run Firefox for the Internet and all the
programs work well together and are up to date.
Earlier today I noticed that my Internet pages were loading very slow and so
I called Verizon because I thought it was a connectivity issue. After
working with them for 5 hours where they ran a malware test using
Malwarebytes and checked my settings I’m still where I was with slow loading
pages.
Some pages like Yahoo come right up while others don’t load at all or are
very slow to load such as this Google page.
Does anyone have any suggestions and/or advice as to what the problem is and
how to resolve it?

You might try using System Restore to an earlier date.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Ben

Stefan Patric

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP, SP3 , Windows Firewall, Avast
antivirus, Spywareblaster, and run Firefox for the Internet and all the
programs work well together and are up to date.

Earlier today I noticed that my Internet pages were loading very slow
and so I called Verizon because I thought it was a connectivity issue.
After working with them for 5 hours where they ran a malware test using
Malwarebytes and checked my settings I’m still where I was with slow

Some pages like Yahoo come right up while others don’t load at all or
are very slow to load such as this Google page.

Does anyone have any suggestions and/or advice as to what the problem is
and how to resolve it?

I've been having similar Internet slowdowns or outright stalling--and
this is on a Linux machine. This is something that's not new. I
experience it periodically.

Like yours, my machine itself is fine, and the only thing slow is
Internet related. As long as the problem isn't occurring all the time
with every web site you frequent, the cause could be as simple as too
much legitimate traffic trying to access a particular web site and
overloading its servers. Or a Demand of Service attack which would do
the same thing only worse. Or the site or part of the site is down for
some reason. And on, and on, and on. Lots of reasons. And absolutely
nothing you can do about it, except be patient. The problem usually
"fixes" itself.

If this occurs mostly in the late afternoon and early evening, which it
does in my case, my guess is that the tens of thousands of kiddies, who
just got out of school, are all using with their new Internet capable
Christmas toys all at the same time.

Stef

Gordon

wrote in message

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP, SP3 , Windows Firewall, Avast
antivirus, Spywareblaster, and run Firefox for the Internet and all the
programs work well together and are up to date.

Earlier today I noticed that my Internet pages were loading very slow and so
I called Verizon because I thought it was a connectivity issue. After
working with them for 5 hours where they ran a malware test using
Malwarebytes and checked my settings I’m still where I was with slow loading
pages.

Some pages like Yahoo come right up while others don’t load at all or are
very slow to load such as this Google page.

Does anyone have any suggestions and/or advice as to what the problem is and
how to resolve it?

Than you,
Robert

I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be my wifi router. Replacing it
did the trick.
Gordon W

J. P. Gilliver (John)

philo  said:
Empty your Internet cache

and also set the size to some fairly small value such as 200 megs

Why would that change some pages loading fast and others not?
==>
Edit, preferences, advanced, network
Not in Firefox.

FWIW, I'd say the problem isn't the computer, but the remote websites.
In some cases http://adblockplus.org/en/firefox will help, and in others
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ (which doesn't actually _block_ flash
things, it just lets _you_ control when they run).