Signing-In to Windows Messenger (communications service)

G

Well, I installed Windows messenger and it takes my .Net passport o.k. But then it asks for my sign-in name, user name, and password for my communications service. I have earthlink. There are two users on this computer, myself (limited) and my fiance, Scott (administrator) although we use this at home and not as a business computer. How can I find out my sign-in name, user name and password if Scott doesn't even know where to look? I know this sounds stupid but I am hardly computer-savvy.

J. Conrad

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings,

The Communications Service is for SIP-based communications services, this isn't what you
want. To correct this, open up the main Messenger window, click the Tools menu in Messenger,
then select Options and then click the Accounts tab.

If you're using Windows Messenger 4.x, click the option button '.NET Passport' under 'Sign in
with this account first'. Then, uncheck the box 'My contacts include users of a
communications service', click OK and then try and sign on again.

If you're using Windows Messenger 5.x, verify that all the options are unchecked except for
the top '.NET Passport Account' option.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

J. Conrad said:
Well, I installed Windows messenger and it takes my .Net passport o.k. But then it asks for
my sign-in name, user name, and password for my communications service. I have earthlink.
There are two users on this computer, myself (limited) and my fiance, Scott (administrator)
although we use this at home and not as a business computer. How can I find out my sign-in
name, user name and password if Scott doesn't even know where to look? I know this sounds
stupid but I am hardly computer-savvy.

Ask a Question