'Signature for new messages' which won't work

CJSnet

Milly Staples said:
Open a new mail message. Go to the Accounts drop-down. Select a different
account.

Thanks Milly, but this doesn't resolve the issue. If I choose a new account
like this (which is how I have done it for many years) it does not insert
the signature for new messages that I chose in the previous step (see my
last posts here).

Again, I cannot see the reason for, or point of, allowing me to choose a
signature for new messages, when it seems impossible to actually have that
signature automatically inserted for new messages.

Nobody here has provided a reason why that feature exists - it simply does
nothing. Obviously that is misleading.

I'm not trying to be awkward at all, I just simply don't get why it's there
or what it does :-S
--
Thanks.

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, CJSnet asked:

| || That option simply refers to whether you want a signature placed on
|| every new message or not.
|
| I agree -- *if* you are talking about the default account.
|
| However, I have 3 accounts. If I select the default account which is
| the 1st one in the list (let's call it 'A') in the screenshot
| example, you are correct - I can choose a signature for NEW messages
| there, and it is then inserted every time I click New>Mail Message.
|
| *But* if I select the 2nd account, a non-default account (let's call
| them 'B' and 'C'), the previous sig for NEW messages that I chose to
| associate to account A disappears, allowing me to choose an
| independent sig for B or C.
|
| *All 3 accounts* allow me to choose an individual signature for *new
| messages*.
|
| What you are saying is correct for account A, because when I click
| New>Mail message, that is what I get - a new mail in account A with
| sig A.
|
| But what is the point of Outlook letting me choose a signature for NEW
| messages for accounts B and C, when there is no way whatsoever to
| create a new message with account B or C?
|
| I hope that is clear now. Either I'm missing something and there is
| a way, or it's an extremely misleading and pointless option. :-S
|
|| It does not mean that Outlook can figure out in advance
|| which signature to place when you have multiple mail accounts but
|| haven't designated which one you are going to use. When you have
|| designated the account in advance of starting the new message window
|| (as would be the case
|
| How can I designate which account I am going to use "in advance of
| starting the new message"? That in essence is my whole question, and
| you just seemed to imply it is possible.
|
|| when you have only one account, or when you are replying to a
|| message),
|
| When I am replying there is a separate choice for which signature to
| use (see my screenshot). I am not talking about that, but the option
| above it.

CJSnet

Russ Valentine said:
I don't know how else to explain it. No one else seems to have been
similarly mislead.

I'm sorry Russ, I feel the same -- I don't know how else to explain what I
have said! We'll get there, don't worry... ;)

Tell you what, here's an easy solution. As I described, this option allows
me to choose a new message signature for non-default mail accounts.

Can you please give brief step by step instructions on how to ultmiately use
the end result of selecting that option, as you seem to know a lot?

I can give you the first few steps:
1) Click Tools>Options>Mail Format>Select signature for account: <choose
an e-mail account other than the default>
2) Click 'Signature for new messages:' <choose a signature to associate
with that non-default mail account>
3) ??? How do I then get that NEW message signature inserted for that
NON-default mail account I just set up ???

If you can't talk me through it, then I guess it is impossible, which leads
back to my original question... why does that option exist if it does
nothing?
--
Thanks.

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
CJSnet said:
Russ Valentine said:
Let me ask it this way. How is it that you expect Outlook to select the
correct signature when you haven't told it what account you are going

Exactly. That is my question! I expect it to because the feature is
clearly present, or extremely misleading. Why let me choose a signature for
new messages on accounts which are not the default account? It's letting me
choose something that cannot be used in the present state.
use? I think you are misinterpreting this feature's capability. Outlook
has
provided an easy way to change sigs when you want to change the sending
account.

You will get the correct signature on a New message only when you have
defined the account you will use in advance of launching the New
Message
window.

And how do I do that?
--
Thanks.

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
That option simply refers to whether you want a signature placed on
every
new message or not.

I agree -- *if* you are talking about the default account.

However, I have 3 accounts. If I select the default account which is the
1st one in the list (let's call it 'A') in the screenshot example, you
are
correct - I can choose a signature for NEW messages there, and it is then
inserted every time I click New>Mail Message.

*But* if I select the 2nd account, a non-default account (let's call them
'B' and 'C'), the previous sig for NEW messages that I chose to associate
account A disappears, allowing me to choose an independent sig for B
or
C.

*All 3 accounts* allow me to choose an individual signature for *new
messages*.

What you are saying is correct for account A, because when I click
New>Mail
message, that is what I get - a new mail in account A with sig A.

But what is the point of Outlook letting me choose a signature for NEW
messages for accounts B and C, when there is no way whatsoever to create
new message with acocunt B or C?

I hope that is clear now. Either I'm missing something and there is a
way,
or it's an extremely misleading and pointless option. :-S
--
Thanks.

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

It does not mean that Outlook can figure out in advance
which signature to place when you have multiple mail accounts but
haven't
designated which one you are going to use. When you have designated the
account in advance of starting the new message window (as would be the
case
when you have only one account, or when you are replying to a message),
the
signature that is placed will be the correct one for the specified
account.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

As you can now see, Outlook 2003 seems to allow what you are saying
would
require clairvoyance, which leaves me as confused by your posts as you
are
by mine.

I have 3 e-mail accounts. The highlighted box shows one of them
selected.
For each account I can choose:
"Signature for new messages"
"Signature for replies and forwards"

Would you please explain to me why the "Signature for new messages"
option
exists, if it cannot be used?

Using Word as the e-mail editor makes no difference as these
options
are
not
greyed out when Wordmail is turned off. This means they should
work
when
Wordmail is not on.

The point is, they are there for a reason - I just can't get them
work.
--
Thanks.

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

Me too neither.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
wrote in message Ah, I see now - it was rather confusing. However, he can still
select
the
signature once he selects the sending account using the Accounts
button.
guess I am not understanding why actually having to *select*
some
options/actions is such a hard thing to do.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Due
the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
personal

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Russ
Valentine
[MVP-Outlook] asked:

| As I read the post, I don't think that's the question. OP said
he'd
| already created signatures associated with each account. His
question
| was how to get Outlook to assign the correct signature to a
message
| before he designates which account he is using.
|| See my previous reply - use Word as the editor and you can
easily
|| associate a signature with a mail account.
|| Post back if you have any problems *after* trying this
method.
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
Due
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to
my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, H Gohel
|| asked:
||| Well, it's not that outlandish a request. Some newsreaders are
very
||| good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a
||| particular group. It's not far fetched to have one
signature
||| associated with each account...
||| If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should
easily
be
||| able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and
||| choose the appropriate signature.
||| It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being
||| downloaded to the local INBOX. Then ofcourse, Outlook
cannot
tell
||| which
||| signature should be used.
||| Opinions?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

As I said, this option does not apply when there are multiple mail accounts
in one profile. There is no way for Outlook to place the correct signature
when you launch the new message window in a multiple account scenario
because you have not yet designated your sending account. It will place your
default signature. If you want to change your sending account, just R click
the sig and pick the sig for that account.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

CJSnet said:
> [...]

|| asked:
account
you
||| Well, it's not that outlandish a request. Some
newsreaders
are
very
||| good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a
||| particular group. It's not far fetched to have one
signature
||| associated with each account...
||| If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should
easily
be
||| able to tell where the message is that is being replied
to,
and
||| choose the appropriate signature.
||| It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being
||| downloaded to the local INBOX. Then ofcourse, Outlook

CJSnet

Thanks Russ.

As suspected then, it is a bit misleading as it lets you choose a default
sig for an account, but you can't actually use that option, unless you go
and also change the default account.

Everywhere else in Microsoft software, where one option means another option
won't be accessible, it is greyed out. That's what threw me.