'Signature for new messages' which won't work

CJSnet

Hi, I have Outlook 2003 and if I go to Tools>Options>Mail Format I see I can
choose a signature for new messages.

I have 3 e-mail accounts set up, and have set a new message signature for
each one, e.g.:
1) Home > Sig 1 (default)
2) Work > Sig 2
3) Play > Sig 3

However when I try to create a new e-mail message, it seems impossible to
automatically start a new e-mail using my Work or Play accounts, and
therefore have the signature automatically entered.

So what is the point of this feature if there is no way to use it? I'm sure
I'm missing something, so anyone who has worked it out (because it isn't
obvious!) please speak up :)
--
Thanks.

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Use Word as the message editor.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, CJSnet asked:

| Anyone??
|
| || Hi, I have Outlook 2003 and if I go to Tools>Options>Mail Format I
|| see I can choose a signature for new messages.
|| I have 3 e-mail accounts set up, and have set a new message
|| signature for each one, e.g.:
|| 1) Home > Sig 1 (default)
|| 2) Work > Sig 2
|| 3) Play > Sig 3
|| However when I try to create a new e-mail message, it seems
|| impossible to automatically start a new e-mail using my Work or Play
|| accounts, and therefore have the signature automatically entered.
|| So what is the point of this feature if there is no way to use it?
|| I'm sure I'm missing something, so anyone who has worked it out
|| (because it isn't obvious!) please speak up :)
|| --
|| Thanks.
|| CJSnet
|| (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Outlook is not clairvoyant. It does not know which account you intend to use
to send your message when you open a new message window. Accordingly, it
opens with your default sig. To change it, R click it and select another
from the dropdown.

H Gohel

Russ said:
Outlook is not clairvoyant. It does not know which account you intend to use
to send your message when you open a new message window. Accordingly, it
opens with your default sig. To change it, R click it and select another
from the dropdown.

Well, it's not that outlandish a request. Some newsreaders are very
good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a particular
group. It's not far fetched to have one signature associated with each
account...

If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should easily be
able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and choose
the appropriate signature.

It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being downloaded
to the local INBOX. Then ofcourse, Outlook cannot tell which signature
should be used.

Opinions?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

It's not a reasonable request at all. In a newsreader, you are sleeting the
"account" in advance of creating a message, so of course it's easy to create
a message with the correct signature. If you have three accounts in Outlook
and have not designated in advance which account you are going to use to
send the message, how do you expect Outlook to select the correct signature?
You're asking for clairvoyance here.

User should turn off automatic sig, then insert the sig based on which
account he decides to use. Or use Chris' suggestion to insert a sig
programmatically once the sending account is designated.

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

See my previous reply - use Word as the editor and you can easily associate
a signature with a mail account.

Post back if you have any problems *after* trying this method.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, H Gohel asked:

| Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
|
|| Outlook is not clairvoyant. It does not know which account you
|| intend to use to send your message when you open a new message
|| window. Accordingly, it opens with your default sig. To change it, R
|| click it and select another from the dropdown.
|
| Well, it's not that outlandish a request. Some newsreaders are very
| good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a
| particular group. It's not far fetched to have one signature
| associated with each account...
|
| If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should easily be
| able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and choose
| the appropriate signature.
|
| It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being downloaded
| to the local INBOX. Then ofcourse, Outlook cannot tell which
| signature should be used.
|
| Opinions?

H Gohel

Russ said:
It's not a reasonable request at all. In a newsreader, you are
sleeting the "account" in advance of creating a message, so of course
it's easy to create a message with the correct signature. If you have
three accounts in Outlook and have not designated in advance which
account you are going to use to send the message, how do you expect
Outlook to select the correct signature?
You're asking for clairvoyance here.

Russ,

We are looking at the problem from two different views -

+ You're looking at a signature based on the *outgoing* mail server/account
+ I'm looking at a signature based on which account the *incoming*
message was in.

My suggestion may or may not be good enough for the original poster, but
it seems to me that a per-account signature would work based on which
account you're reading mail in. It would not matter which account is
used to deliver the mail, the signature would be based on which mail
account contained the mail when Reply was selected.

The comparison to the newsreader was by equating a newsgroup to an
Outlook incoming email account. The outgoing server may or may not be
the same for all accounts.

Himanshu

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

As I read the post, I don't think that's the question. OP said he'd already
created signatures associated with each account. His question was how to get
Outlook to assign the correct signature to a message before he designates
which account he is using.

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Ah, I see now - it was rather confusing. However, he can still select the
signature once he selects the sending account using the Accounts button. I
guess I am not understanding why actually having to *select* some
options/actions is such a hard thing to do.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook] asked:

| As I read the post, I don't think that's the question. OP said he'd
| already created signatures associated with each account. His question
| was how to get Outlook to assign the correct signature to a message
| before he designates which account he is using.
|| See my previous reply - use Word as the editor and you can easily
|| associate a signature with a mail account.
|| Post back if you have any problems *after* trying this method.
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, H Gohel
|| asked:
||| Well, it's not that outlandish a request. Some newsreaders are very
||| good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a
||| particular group. It's not far fetched to have one signature
||| associated with each account...
||| If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should easily be
||| able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and
||| choose the appropriate signature.
||| It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being
||| downloaded to the local INBOX. Then ofcourse, Outlook cannot tell
||| which
||| signature should be used.
||| Opinions?

CJSnet

Guys, in order to clarify what I mean, I have uploaded the Options page I
referred to, to: http://tinyurl.com/6tzqh

As you can now see, Outlook 2003 seems to allow what you are saying would
require clairvoyance, which leaves me as confused by your posts as you are
by mine.

I have 3 e-mail accounts. The highlighted box shows one of them selected.
For each account I can choose:
"Signature for new messages"
"Signature for replies and forwards"

Would you please explain to me why the "Signature for new messages" option
exists, if it cannot be used?

Using Word as the e-mail editor makes no difference as these options are not
greyed out when Wordmail is turned off. This means they should work when
Wordmail is not on.

The point is, they are there for a reason - I just can't get them to work.
--
Thanks.

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

Russ Valentine said:
Me too neither.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
Ah, I see now - it was rather confusing. However, he can still select
the
signature once he selects the sending account using the Accounts button. I
guess I am not understanding why actually having to *select* some
options/actions is such a hard thing to do.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook] asked:

| As I read the post, I don't think that's the question. OP said he'd
| already created signatures associated with each account. His question
| was how to get Outlook to assign the correct signature to a message
| before he designates which account he is using.
|| See my previous reply - use Word as the editor and you can easily
|| associate a signature with a mail account.
|| Post back if you have any problems *after* trying this method.
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, H Gohel
|| asked:
||| Well, it's not that outlandish a request. Some newsreaders are very
||| good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a
||| particular group. It's not far fetched to have one signature
||| associated with each account...
||| If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should easily be
||| able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and
||| choose the appropriate signature.
||| It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being
||| downloaded to the local INBOX. Then ofcourse, Outlook cannot tell
||| which
||| signature should be used.
||| Opinions?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

That option simply refers to whether you want a signature placed on every
new message or not. It does not mean that Outlook can figure out in advance
which signature to place when you have multiple mail accounts but haven't
designated which one you are going to use. When you have designated the
account in advance of starting the new message window (as would be the case
when you have only one account, or when you are replying to a message), the
signature that is placed will be the correct one for the specified account.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
CJSnet said:
[...]

Russ Valentine said:
Me too neither.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
Ah, I see now - it was rather confusing. However, he can still select
the
signature once he selects the sending account using the Accounts
button.
guess I am not understanding why actually having to *select* some
options/actions is such a hard thing to do.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook] asked:

| As I read the post, I don't think that's the question. OP said he'd
| already created signatures associated with each account. His question
| was how to get Outlook to assign the correct signature to a message
| before he designates which account he is using.
|| See my previous reply - use Word as the editor and you can easily
|| associate a signature with a mail account.
|| Post back if you have any problems *after* trying this method.
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, H Gohel
|| asked:
||| Well, it's not that outlandish a request. Some newsreaders are very
||| good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a
||| particular group. It's not far fetched to have one signature
||| associated with each account...
||| If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should easily be
||| able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and
||| choose the appropriate signature.
||| It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being
||| downloaded to the local INBOX. Then ofcourse, Outlook cannot tell
||| which
||| signature should be used.
||| Opinions?

CJSnet

Russ Valentine said:
That option simply refers to whether you want a signature placed on every
new message or not.

I agree -- *if* you are talking about the default account.

However, I have 3 accounts. If I select the default account which is the
1st one in the list (let's call it 'A') in the screenshot example, you are
correct - I can choose a signature for NEW messages there, and it is then
inserted every time I click New>Mail Message.

*But* if I select the 2nd account, a non-default account (let's call them
'B' and 'C'), the previous sig for NEW messages that I chose to associate to
account A disappears, allowing me to choose an independent sig for B or C.

*All 3 accounts* allow me to choose an individual signature for *new
messages*.

What you are saying is correct for account A, because when I click New>Mail
message, that is what I get - a new mail in account A with sig A.

But what is the point of Outlook letting me choose a signature for NEW
messages for accounts B and C, when there is no way whatsoever to create a
new message with acocunt B or C?

I hope that is clear now. Either I'm missing something and there is a way,
or it's an extremely misleading and pointless option. :-S
--

CJSnet said:
[...]

Russ Valentine said:
Me too neither.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
wrote in message Ah, I see now - it was rather confusing. However, he can still select
the
signature once he selects the sending account using the Accounts button.
guess I am not understanding why actually having to *select* some
options/actions is such a hard thing to do.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to
the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
personal

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Russ
Valentine
[MVP-Outlook] asked:

| As I read the post, I don't think that's the question. OP said he'd
| already created signatures associated with each account. His
question
| was how to get Outlook to assign the correct signature to a message
| before he designates which account he is using.
|| See my previous reply - use Word as the editor and you can easily
|| associate a signature with a mail account.
|| Post back if you have any problems *after* trying this method.
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, H Gohel
|| asked:
||| Well, it's not that outlandish a request. Some newsreaders are very
||| good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a
||| particular group. It's not far fetched to have one signature
||| associated with each account...
||| If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should easily be
||| able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and
||| choose the appropriate signature.
||| It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being
||| downloaded to the local INBOX. Then ofcourse, Outlook cannot tell
||| which
||| signature should be used.
||| Opinions?

CJSnet

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

new message with account B or C?

I hope that is clear now. Either I'm missing something and there is a way,
or it's an extremely misleading and pointless option. :-S
It does not mean that Outlook can figure out in advance
which signature to place when you have multiple mail accounts but haven't
designated which one you are going to use. When you have designated the
account in advance of starting the new message window (as would be the
case

How can I designate which account I am going to use "in advance of starting
the new message"? That in essence is my whole question, and you just seemed
to imply it is possible.
when you have only one account, or when you are replying to a message),

When I am replying there is a separate choice for which signature to use
(see my screenshot). I am not talking about that, but the option above it.
--
Thanks.

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Let me ask it this way. How is it that you expect Outlook to select the
correct signature when you haven't told it what account you are going to
use? I think you are misinterpreting this feature's capability. Outlook has
provided an easy way to change sigs when you want to change the sending
account.

You will get the correct signature on a New message only when you have
defined the account you will use in advance of launching the New Message
window.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

CJSnet said:
> [...]

|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, H Gohel
|| asked:
||| Well, it's not that outlandish a request. Some newsreaders are very
||| good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a
||| particular group. It's not far fetched to have one signature
||| associated with each account...
||| If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should
easily
be
||| able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and
||| choose the appropriate signature.
||| It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being
||| downloaded to the local INBOX. Then ofcourse, Outlook cannot tell

CJSnet

Russ Valentine said:
Let me ask it this way. How is it that you expect Outlook to select the
correct signature when you haven't told it what account you are going to

Exactly. That is my question! I expect it to because the feature is
clearly present, or extremely misleading. Why let me choose a signature for
new messages on accounts which are not the default account? It's letting me
choose something that cannot be used in the present state.
use? I think you are misinterpreting this feature's capability. Outlook
has
provided an easy way to change sigs when you want to change the sending
account.

You will get the correct signature on a New message only when you have
defined the account you will use in advance of launching the New Message
window.

And how do I do that?
--

CJSnet said:
Russ Valentine said:
> [...]

Due
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, H Gohel
|| asked:
||| Well, it's not that outlandish a request. Some newsreaders are
very
||| good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a
||| particular group. It's not far fetched to have one signature
||| associated with each account...
||| If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should easily
be
||| able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and
||| choose the appropriate signature.
||| It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being
||| downloaded to the local INBOX. Then ofcourse, Outlook cannot tell

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I don't know how else to explain it. No one else seems to have been
similarly mislead.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

CJSnet said:
> [...]

Due
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, H Gohel
|| asked:
||| Well, it's not that outlandish a request. Some newsreaders are
very
||| good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a
||| particular group. It's not far fetched to have one signature
||| associated with each account...
||| If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should easily
be
||| able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and
||| choose the appropriate signature.
||| It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being
||| downloaded to the local INBOX. Then ofcourse, Outlook cannot tell

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Open a new mail message. Go to the Accounts drop-down. Select a different
account.