    WinXP machines.
    This does not work in Vista because of the search thingie.

    Is there a new Window shortcut for shutting down that does not need the mouse?

    Guest, Aug 10, 2007

    Andy [YaYa] Guest

    "Mount_Dreamer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am so used to tapping the Windows key, the U twice to shutdown previous
    > WinXP machines.
    > This does not work in Vista because of the search thingie.
    >
    > Is there a new Window shortcut for shutting down that does not need the
    > mouse?

    Try pushing the power button on your case (just 1 press vs. 3, you do the
    math), the "Power Options" control panel applet lets you specify what the
    power button does (shut down, sleep, hibernate, etc).

    Andy [YaYa], Aug 10, 2007

    Dave Cox Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?TW91bnRfRHJlYW1lcg==?=
    <> wrote in

    > I am so used to tapping the Windows key, the U twice to shutdown
    > previous WinXP machines.
    > This does not work in Vista because of the search thingie.
    >
    > Is there a new Window shortcut for shutting down that does not
    > need the mouse?

    At the destop ALT+f4 then ENTER

    --
    The most reliable time to upgrade to a new Operating System is at the
    end of its life cycle.

    Dave

    Dave Cox, Aug 10, 2007

    That closes the explorer or IE window, it does not shutdown the computer.

    Guest, Aug 11, 2007

    You have an idea, but pressing the power button to shutdown is an "Oh Shit"
    moment, not something to be encouraged for normal us.

    It is at least worth considering.
    Thanks!

    Guest, Aug 11, 2007
  6. > "Dave Cox" wrote:
    >> At the destop ALT+f4 then ENTER

    "Mount_Dreamer" <> wrote ...
    > That closes the explorer or IE window, it does not shutdown the computer.

    No, Dave is correct. If you are at the Windows desktop and no other
    applications are in the foreground, Alt-F4 brings up the
    Shut down Windows" dialogue.

    If an application such as Word or Internet Explorer has focus then, yes: the
    app will intercept the Alt-F4 and close itself down, rather than Windows.
    --
    Andrew McLaren
    amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

    Andrew McLaren, Aug 11, 2007

    Dave Cox Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?TW91bnRfRHJlYW1lcg==?=
    <> wrote in

    > That closes the explorer or IE window, it does not shutdown the
    > computer.

    It does shut down the computer your just not doing it like I said.

    Dave Cox, Aug 11, 2007