Shutdown and logoff script questions

babalooey

Simple question (I think?).

I created a shutdown script on my XP Pro machines that will run a
commercial backup program when my users shut their machines down at
the end of the day. That backup program will backup the user's
machine to a network share and then force the shutdown of the machine.

I have tested my VBScript and I can get the script to work properly
and call the backup program and make a backup while the user is logged
in and the machine is running. However, when I put the shutdown
script in the proper directory and use gpedit.msc to create a policy
to run the script, the script immediately ends without performing the
backup.

Is my script bound to fail because shutdown scripts do not run until
after the network connections are closed and the backup is attempting
to access a network share after the network connections are closed?

IF so, should I change the shutdown script to a logoff script because
it seems that the XP shutdown sequence does not close the network
connection until after the user is logged off and therefore the
network share should still be available for the backup program to
access?

thanks for any input

(e-mail address removed)

babalooey

That's what I thought, but I couldn't find the exact XP shutdown
sequence in any of my references or on the web to confirm it.

I will swap things around this weekend and try it out

gracias

(e-mail address removed)

pcbutts1

We do it with a logoff script and include in that script a weekly restart.
Our users ability to shutdown the computer is disabled.