  1. RJ

    RJ Guest

    Is there a shortcut key combination that will open a command prompt window?

    RJ, Sep 30, 2004

  2. RJ

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Create a shortcut, find cmd.exe in Windows/system32 folder,
    right click and make shortcut. You can create a hotkey too.
    Or just put it on the desktop or even quick-launch toolbar.

    Jim Macklin, Sep 30, 2004

  3. Hit the Windows Key and R, then type "cmd" without the quotes,
    then hit enter.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Sep 30, 2004
  4. RJ

    RJ Guest

    Yes, that I know. I was hoping for something standard like WinKey+C, or CTRL+SHIFT+C,
    or something similar that was built into the OS, and would work by default on any XP
    PC.

    I guess not... I wonder why? Seems like an obvious choice for a shortcut key. Maybe security?

    RJ, Sep 30, 2004
  5. RJ

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi RJ - Just a thought, you might want to do what I did - if you have a
    multi-media type keyboard installed (like the Wireless Natural Multimedia
    Keyboard that I use), you can re-program one of the keys to do this for you
    using the Control Panel Keyboard applet. (I don't have Messenger, so I
    re-programed that key to bring up E:\Winnt\System32|cmd.exe - I'm on
    Win2kPro installed on the e:\ partition)

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:,
    RJ <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Sep 30, 2004
  6. RJ

    Alex Nichol Guest

    RJ wrote:

    >Is there a shortcut key combination that will open a command prompt window?

    Set one up; in start - All Programs - Accessories, right click the
    Command Prompt, Properties, set a Shortcut key for it. Say F10

    Applies to anything in the Start Menu - All Programs and subfolders

    Bournemouth, U.K. 8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

    Alex Nichol, Oct 1, 2004