Windows XP SFC /scannow

Reaction score
Does Windows ME operating system NOT have this utility tool? Can it be downloaded to my computer or does not not work with Windows ME?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Is this to do with your other problem?

To answer your question ... no, WinME does not use/have SFC ... it was replaced with System File Protection (SFP)

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/WinME_sfp.mspx

user.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
numbersguy said:
How do I download and run System File Protection (SFP)? i did not see a link to do this.
You don't, it's built-in ... do some reading.

The System File Monitor detects attempts to overwrite any system file that is designated as protected. When an attempt is made to change such a file, Windows Me does the following:

1. Stores a copy of the original file.
2. Checks a database of catalog files to determine whether the new version of the file is a valid replacement.
3. If the new version of the file is a valid replacement, Windows Me allows the new file to replace the old version. Otherwise, Windows Me restores the original version of the file silently, without alerting the end user.

The stored copy of the original file is deleted soon after the file is either replaced or restored.

File corruption does not trigger SFP. If a protected system file becomes corrupted, the end user can replace the corrupted version of the file with a valid copy from the distribution media.
;)

Ask a Question