Setup Failed during Install Of XP Home SP1 Error# fffffb4a

I just installed a new hard drive on my computer and I wanted to re-install
windows on to it when the Drive to Drive copy failed. I erased the partition
on the original drive and wanted to reinstall windows on to the new drive.
The setup found an installation of windows on the new drive (because I copied
it) and asked if I wanted to repair it instead of doing a fresh install. I
chose to do a repair. When the timer says 39 minutes remaining (it sits
there or some time) it gives me an error saying this:

"Setup failed to install product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup
logs should contain more info."

Setup Log:

"The signature for Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade is invalid. Error Code
is fffffb4a.
The System cannot find message text for message # 0xfffffb4a in the file for
syssetup.dll"

Then it restarts and instead of going back to the original setup menu asking
me if I wanted to repair or do a clean install it goes back into the
installation and attempts to pick up where it left off, giving me another
error. I just want to start over and do a fresh installation, please help!

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Kevin,
Sounds like corruption in the catroot2 folder.
You can try deleting that folder, then restart setup.
Actually on a reboot there should be a small window to bypass restarting
setup and allow a boot from cd to clean install.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gUy4=?=" <Kevin (e-mail address removed)>
<Subject: Setup Failed during Install Of XP Home SP1 Error# fffffb4a
<Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:10:09 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
[...]

Thanks for your help. I went out and picked up some floppy discs and made 6
boot discs then did a complete re-install of windows and it worked out great,
took forever but it works now. Thanks again.