Repair Windows XP pro failed

Discussion in 'Windows XP Setup' started by Guest, Jul 1, 2006.

    Tried to do XP repair installation since I was getting a "stop: c000021a
    {fatal system error}" when booting up my laptop. Used the repair
    installation instructions on the Microsoft support page, but during the
    process got the message in the System Setup log:

    Error
    Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINNT\System21\initpki.dll
    because of the following error:
    LoadLibrary returned error 5 (5)

    Error:
    The signature for Windows XP Professional Upgrade is invalid. The error code
    is fffffdef.

    The system cannot find message text for message number 0xfffffdef in the
    message file for syssetup.dll

    Fatal Error:
    Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The
    setup log files should contain more information.

    Before trying to run the XP repair I was able to boot into Safe Mode, but
    now I don't know what to do. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be much
    appreciated! Thanks.

    Guest, Jul 1, 2006

    Rich Barry Guest

    Mike, check out this mskb Article. You can use the Recovery Console.
    Check here also
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823303
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/

    Rich Barry, Jul 1, 2006