Seeing both domains in network browser/places Win2k AD

yaardone

I have two domains linked together by a working VPN. Both domains are
set up with trusts and work great with the exception that I am unable
to view either domain in network places. If I type in the FQDN I can
access either domain no problem. My DNS is set up correctly. What am I
missing

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
I have two domains linked together by a working VPN. Both domains are
set up with trusts and work great with the exception that I am unable
to view either domain in network places. If I type in the FQDN I can
access either domain no problem. My DNS is set up correctly. What am I
missing

Did you add (assuming you want this) Domain Users of the one domain to the
Domain Local Users on the other and vice versa?
Same with Domain Admins?

Is WINS in place on both sides and you've setup a replication partnership
between them?

Are the respective domain members (clients and DCs) only using the internal
DNS and no others in their IP properties?

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc (IITCI)

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...

yaardone

Did you add (assuming you want this) Domain Users of the one domain to the
Domain Local Users on the other and vice versa?
Same with Domain Admins?

The domains are indipendent, with the exception of two way trusts. I
have abandoned wins which slowed down my VPN. I exclusivly using
windows DNS. each DNS has a secondary DNS which pulls from the other.
Is WINS in place on both sides and you've setup a replication partnership
between them?
no WINS see above

Are the respective domain members (clients and DCs) only using the internal
DNS and no others in their IP properties?
Each PDC has also serves as DNS for its domain. It also has a secondary
DNS defined which pulls from the other domain.

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
The domains are indipendent, with the exception of two way trusts. I
have abandoned wins which slowed down my VPN. I exclusivly using
windows DNS. each DNS has a secondary DNS which pulls from the other.

Then don't expect Network Neighborhood to work between them. This is a
NetBIOS function, not DNS. If you require network browsing, keep the WINS
partnership in place. Upgrade the speed of the link if this is a business
requirement.
no WINS see above

Each PDC has also serves as DNS for its domain. It also has a
secondary DNS defined which pulls from the other domain.

This is good for FQDN resolution, however it has nothing to do with NetBIOS.

The choice is up to you.

Ace