security update

Dennis

I applied Windows Security Update for February 2, 2004.
System rebooted and now LCD on laptop remains dark. I'm a
novice, anyone got any ideas?

pauly [MSFT]

Hi Dennis,

Here are some ideas:

1. Boot into Safe Mode, Uninstall the update, restart normally.
2. If this doesn't work, boot into Safe Mode, use System Restore, Restore
back to a time prior to the update.

MORE INFORMATION:

Please review the following KB Articles which will provide additional
techniques: use in roughly the order presented below.

307852 HOW TO: Start Your Computer by Using the Last Known Good
Configuration
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307852

315222 A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315222

308041 Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308041

306084 HOW TO: Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306084

304449 HOW TO: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304449

283252 Non-Administrator User Is Unable to Start System Restore Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=283252

310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310353

316434 HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

310560 How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE