Screensavers

Susan Bugher

chris said:
http://www.pegtop.net/screensaver/

They do there job on "ProteanThread's" computers, but there seems to be
some trouble to get them working on other computers.
Tried them all and this are my results :

Timezone : IOPR / runtime error
Smoodoo : running one time?
Deflection : running one time?
Lavalamp : works
Famous : works
Messagefx : works
Dancelight : works

Thanks for the additional testing Chris. I appreciate the feedback.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com.gr/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

*ProteanThread*

it may be video card related more than cpu related. i tried these
again on another hp that used shared memory for the video (but other
than that the configurations were basically the same) they were really
choppy on this other computer.

chris

it may be video card related more than cpu related. i tried these
again on another hp that used shared memory for the video (but other
than that the configurations were basically the same) they were really
choppy on this other computer.

cpu related? Not likely. Tested it on an amd and intel cpu and no success.
video card related? Not likely.
AGP related? Could be, but not likely.
OS related? Could be, tested it on W98SE.
DirectX? Always possible ;-) I'm using v8.1.
Filemon(itor) logs : 2 missing .dll's, but I don't know how important that
could be. Maybe the Timezone screensaver could use a missing .dll, but it
should be normal to put all the necessary files in a zipped packet for
download.
Software related? Need an other version of a .dll? Always possible if you
use M$ software.
Mouse software related? Why not, but not likely.
Screensaver related? Yes! Some of them works, some doesn't work.

There are a lot of nice and lovely freeware screensavers available and if a
screensaver doesn't work, well, you didn't pay for it! I spend enough time
trying to run these screensavers which I'm not going to use, even if they
worked.
I need a working screensaver to tackle the problem and sending up your HP to
me isn't an option.
It's not our job to test these screensavers and if I get them running the
information is in this newsgroup and most likely not on the screensaver
site.

Susan Bugher

I've been chasing down links for screensavers that have been mentioned in acf. Vortex led me to
Useless Creations:

http://www.uselesscreations.com

The site has some $ware - many/most apps are free. Some of the freebies:

Vortex Screensaver
http://uselesscreations.com/vortex/

Harry Potter
http://www.uselesscreations.com/harrypotter/

Batman Begins
http://www.uselesscreations.com/batman/

Mmmm Beer!
http://www.uselesscreations.com/beer/

The Cat In The Hat
http://www.uselesscreations.com/catinthehat/

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
http://www.uselesscreations.com/lotr/

Star Trek 3D Starships
http://www.uselesscreations.com/startrek/

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Frank Bohan

Susan Bugher said:
I've been chasing down links for screensavers that have been mentioned in
acf. Vortex led me to Useless Creations:

http://www.uselesscreations.com

The site has some $ware - many/most apps are free. Some of the freebies:

Vortex Screensaver
http://uselesscreations.com/vortex/

Harry Potter
http://www.uselesscreations.com/harrypotter/

Batman Begins
http://www.uselesscreations.com/batman/

Mmmm Beer!
http://www.uselesscreations.com/beer/

The Cat In The Hat
http://www.uselesscreations.com/catinthehat/

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
http://www.uselesscreations.com/lotr/

Star Trek 3D Starships
http://www.uselesscreations.com/startrek/

Susan

Another one for you, Susan:

http://www.freeimages.co.uk/galleries/wallpaper/index.htm

<quote> Download the freeimages screensaver! Created using flash animation
and eleven images of the more unusual and interesting images from the
freeimages collection. This screen saver makes a stylish addition to a PC
system </quote>

This page also has some desktop/wallpaper images. The site also has some
nice free photos.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ All generalizations are false, including this one.

Susan Bugher

Frank said:
Another one for you, Susan:

http://www.freeimages.co.uk/galleries/wallpaper/index.htm

<quote> Download the freeimages screensaver! Created using flash animation
and eleven images of the more unusual and interesting images from the
freeimages collection. This screen saver makes a stylish addition to a PC
system </quote>

Thank you Frank. If someone is looking for a particular theme Tucows site map might be of interest:

http://www.tucows.com/sitemap

Scroll down the left column for a *long* list of screensavers themes.

Sea animals for example:

http://www.tucows.com/downloads/Windows/DesktopEnhancements/ScreenSavers/Animals/SeaAnimals/

The lists are mixed $ware/demo/freeware but Tucows does show the licenses and allows you to sort the
list on that column.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

MLC

sabato 13 agosto 2005 Susan Bugher ha scritto:

Hi Susan,
a warning about the beer screensaver. I started the install
(Beer3DSetup.exe), then I read:

"We have wrapped the authors original file in this transportation program
in order for us to distribute various advertising messages or vendor
products and thus keep these downloads free."

There were other lines explaining, IIRC, how to get rid of the ads, but I
gave up and aborted the install.

I don't know about the other screensavers.

Ciao,

Susan Bugher

MLC said:
sabato 13 agosto 2005 Susan Bugher ha scritto:

Hi Susan,
a warning about the beer screensaver. I started the install
(Beer3DSetup.exe), then I read:

"We have wrapped the authors original file in this transportation program
in order for us to distribute various advertising messages or vendor
products and thus keep these downloads free."

There were other lines explaining, IIRC, how to get rid of the ads, but I
gave up and aborted the install.

Hi Maria,

hmm. . . there are two download links:

"Click here to download!"
http://www.uselesscreations.com/beer/Beer3DSetup.exe
redirects to
http://dl.uselesscreations.com/files/g/weatherbuguc/B/Beer3DSetup.exe
1721 KB

"Click here to download from a mirror (bundle free)"
http://dl.uselesscreations.com/zips/Beer3DSetup.exe
does not redirect
1376 KB

perhaps "bundle free" means without the ads. . . downloading. . . installing. . .

AHA! :) The "bundle free" version does not show the message you saw - it seems to have installed
cleanly. Install info:

Keys added: 8
-------------
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\UselessCreations
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\UselessCreations\Beer3D
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\UselessCreations\UC3D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MCD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Beer3D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\UselessCreations
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\UselessCreations\Beer3D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\STORAGE\L

Folders added: 7
----------------
c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\UselessCreations
c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\UselessCreations\Beer3D
c:\Program Files\UselessCreations
c:\Program Files\UselessCreations\Beer3D
c:\Program Files\UselessCreations\Beer3D\Bottles
c:\Program Files\UselessCreations\UC3D
c:\Program Files\UselessCreations\UC3D\Modules

Files added: 16
---------------
c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_7bc.dat
Date: 8/13/2005 3:11 PM
Size: 16,384 bytes
c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\UselessCreations\Useless Creations Website.url
Date: 8/13/2005 3:09 PM
Size: 57 bytes
c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\UselessCreations\Beer3D\Beer3D ReadMe.lnk
Date: 8/13/2005 3:09 PM
Size: 907 bytes
c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\UselessCreations\Beer3D\Beer3D Website.url
Date: 8/13/2005 3:09 PM
Size: 62 bytes
c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\UselessCreations\Beer3D\Uninstall Beer3D.lnk
Date: 8/13/2005 3:09 PM
Size: 907 bytes
c:\Program Files\UselessCreations\Beer3D\readme.htm
Date: 11/22/2004 12:19 AM
Size: 11,763 bytes
c:\Program Files\UselessCreations\Beer3D\uninst.exe
Date: 8/13/2005 3:09 PM
Size: 35,787 bytes
c:\Program Files\UselessCreations\Beer3D\Bottles\Budweiser.beer
Date: 11/18/2004 1:22 AM
Size: 305,664 bytes
c:\Program Files\UselessCreations\Beer3D\Bottles\Carlsberg.beer
Date: 11/15/2004 7:49 AM
Size: 187,904 bytes
c:\Program Files\UselessCreations\Beer3D\Bottles\Fosters.beer
Date: 11/18/2004 4:20 AM
Size: 332,288 bytes
c:\Program Files\UselessCreations\Beer3D\Bottles\Heineken.beer
Date: 11/18/2004 1:54 AM
Size: 180,736 bytes
c:\Program Files\UselessCreations\UC3D\Modules\Beer.uc3d
Date: 11/24/2004 3:57 AM
Size: 221,184 bytes
c:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\RUNDLL32.EXE-27D7C389.pf
Date: 8/13/2005 3:09 PM
Size: 23,748 bytes
c:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\UC3D.SCR-271D9F2A.pf
Date: 8/13/2005 3:09 PM
Size: 11,314 bytes
c:\WINDOWS\system32\UC3D.scr
Date: 9/8/2004 10:40 PM
Size: 173,568 bytes
g:\System Volume Information\_restore{F845E3DB-F751-4BE4-A620-64F2CA1BFB5F}\RP42\A0003153.INI
Date: 8/8/2005 3:04 PM
Size: 873 bytes

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

MLC

sabato 13 agosto 2005 Susan Bugher ha scritto:
[...]

Susan, you're always wonderful!
I owe you some beer :))

Susan Bugher

MLC said:
sabato 13 agosto 2005 Susan Bugher ha scritto:
[...]

Susan, you're always wonderful!
I owe you some beer :))

<blush>

I tried Vortex after I posted - that was the screensaver that was previously recommended. It's a no
install app - the preview looked good. :)

http://uselesscreations.com/vortex/

http://www.uselesscreations.com/vortex/Vortex.zip
the download link redirects to
http://swko.themes.tucows.com/filessavers/Vortexss.zip

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

I really like this screensaver. . . and it's small and a no-install. . . :)

Program: Ambient Flock Saver
Author: Inition ltd (Stuart Cupit)
Install: (n.i.)
Ware: (Freeware: free for personal use)
http://www.inition.co.uk/inition/downloads_ambientflocksaver.htm

http://www.inition.co.uk/inition/ambientflocksaver.scr
(80 KB)

"Watch as the smooth flocking motion leaves behind beautiful soft blended tails which are blown
around by the wind…."

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware