Screensaver/PowerSettings Issue

Reaction score
Here's the sitch:

I have WinXPpro completely updated, and I have never had any problems with my screen saver kicking in as scheduled, or with my monitor and disks shutting down as scheduled.

About a week ago, my screen saver stopped engaging at the scheduled time and, soon thereafter, my machine stopped powering down at the scheduled time.

I swapped out the keyboard and mouse, and I tried different ports. That didn't do any good. My Spybot S&D and my Symantic software, which are always updated, have found nothing. I'm kind of thinking it is some kind of bug, but which one I have no idea. My machine starts right up, it doesn't freeze, and I have no problems with anything I do in terms of my computer usage. So, so far, the only symptoms are the ones I described above.

Yes, my files are completely backed up and current and, yes, I have restoration software. Still, I don't want to go through all of that crap because it will take several hours to get my machine back to exactly the way I want it.

So, before I take that route, I'm hoping that one of you might have an idea as to how I can ferret out the little culprit and terminate its existence.

Any and all ideas and opinions are welcome!

Ask a Question