    --
    Sweet Andy Licious

    email->>>

    Sweet Andy, Jul 16, 2006

  2. Sweet Andy

    Guest

    Sweet Andy wrote:
    > Looking for something to work with my HP scanner. Their stuff is pretty bad.
    > Would like to be able to scan, then save as output file. Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Sweet Andy Licious
    >
    > email->>>

    Assuming you have the drivers installed, you can use irfanview to do
    the scanning bit. I think many free image viewers allow this.

    , Jul 16, 2006

  3. Sweet Andy

    John Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...

    >> Looking for something to work with my HP scanner. Their stuff is pretty bad.
    >> Would like to be able to scan, then save as output file. Thanks.

    > Assuming you have the drivers installed, you can use irfanview to do
    > the scanning bit. I think many free image viewers allow this.

    I also have a HP printer/scanner/copier (HP PSC 1610) and want to scan without
    installing the .NET framework and their 100 MB+ software to do it. (The drivers
    do not include any scanning functionality: as I said, you need to install .NET
    and their bloated tools to do it).

    But IrfanView is not the answer -- it gives the following error. If I could find
    a freeware scanning app, then I too would be most grateful.

    ---------------------------
    IrfanView
    ---------------------------
    TWAIN error!
    Can't connect to device or the TWAIN driver is not installed !
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------

    John, Jul 16, 2006
  4. Sweet Andy

    hummingbird Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:22:22 +1000 'John'
    posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

    ><> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>> Looking for something to work with my HP scanner. Their stuff is pretty bad.
    >>> Would like to be able to scan, then save as output file. Thanks.

    >> Assuming you have the drivers installed, you can use irfanview to do
    >> the scanning bit. I think many free image viewers allow this.

    >I also have a HP printer/scanner/copier (HP PSC 1610) and want to scan without
    >installing the .NET framework and their 100 MB+ software to do it. (The drivers
    >do not include any scanning functionality: as I said, you need to install .NET
    >and their bloated tools to do it).
    >
    >But IrfanView is not the answer -- it gives the following error. If I could find
    >a freeware scanning app, then I too would be most grateful.
    >

    >---------------------------
    >IrfanView
    >---------------------------
    >TWAIN error!
    >Can't connect to device or the TWAIN driver is not installed !
    >---------------------------
    >OK
    >---------------------------

    That's presumably because you don't have TWAIN installed. I don't
    know if HP scanners come with TWAIN s/w but I use Irfanview and
    PhotoFiltre for scanning very successfully on my Epson scanner.
    Can you not get TWAIN from HP?

    hummingbird, Jul 16, 2006
  5. Sweet Andy

    Ben Dover Guest

    hummingbird <> blabbered in

    > On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:22:22 +1000 'John'
    > posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:
    >
    >><> wrote in message

    >>> Assuming you have the drivers installed, you can use irfanview to do
    >>> the scanning bit. I think many free image viewers allow this.

    >>I also have a HP printer/scanner/copier (HP PSC 1610) and want to scan
    >>without installing the .NET framework and their 100 MB+ software to do
    >>it. (The drivers do not include any scanning functionality: as I
    >>said, you need to install .NET and their bloated tools to do it).
    >>
    >>But IrfanView is not the answer -- it gives the following error. If I
    >>could find a freeware scanning app, then I too would be most grateful.
    >>

    >>---------------------------
    >>IrfanView
    >>---------------------------
    >>TWAIN error!
    >>Can't connect to device or the TWAIN driver is not installed !
    >>---------------------------
    >>OK
    >>---------------------------

    > That's presumably because you don't have TWAIN installed. I don't
    > know if HP scanners come with TWAIN s/w but I use Irfanview and
    > PhotoFiltre for scanning very successfully on my Epson scanner.
    > Can you not get TWAIN from HP?

    I also use Irfenview for quick scanning jobs - it works very well. But
    yes - as you say you must have a basic TWAIN driver installed. I would
    think a google for it would find a driver he could use.

    Good call on Irfenview - been using it for years for almost all my image
    work.

    Ben Dover, Jul 16, 2006
  6. Sweet Andy

    hummingbird Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:57:50 GMT 'Ben Dover'
    posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

    >hummingbird <> blabbered in
    >
    >> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:22:22 +1000 'John'
    >> posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:
    >>
    >>><> wrote in message

    >>>I also have a HP printer/scanner/copier (HP PSC 1610) and want to scan
    >>>without installing the .NET framework and their 100 MB+ software to do
    >>>it. (The drivers do not include any scanning functionality: as I
    >>>said, you need to install .NET and their bloated tools to do it).
    >>>
    >>>But IrfanView is not the answer -- it gives the following error. If I
    >>>could find a freeware scanning app, then I too would be most grateful.
    >>>

    >>>---------------------------
    >>>IrfanView
    >>>---------------------------
    >>>TWAIN error!
    >>>Can't connect to device or the TWAIN driver is not installed !
    >>>---------------------------
    >>>OK
    >>>---------------------------

    >> That's presumably because you don't have TWAIN installed. I don't
    >> know if HP scanners come with TWAIN s/w but I use Irfanview and
    >> PhotoFiltre for scanning very successfully on my Epson scanner.
    >> Can you not get TWAIN from HP?
    >>

    >I also use Irfenview for quick scanning jobs - it works very well. But
    >yes - as you say you must have a basic TWAIN driver installed. I would
    >think a google for it would find a driver he could use.
    >
    >Good call on Irfenview - been using it for years for almost all my image
    >work.

    It is excellent but I'm also finding PhotoFiltre v/good nowadays
    for some things - eg cropping.

    hummingbird, Jul 16, 2006
  7. Sweet Andy

    Alan Guest

    Sweet Andy wrote:
    > Looking for something to work with my HP scanner. Their stuff is pretty bad.
    > Would like to be able to scan, then save as output file. Thanks.

    I believe all you need to do is go to the HP support site and
    download the drivers and software utility for one of their basic
    scanners like the Scanjet IIc (very little bloatware in their old
    scanning software.). Install it. Then launch Irfanview and tell
    it which scanner you want to use (File | Select Twain Source).
    Then perform File | Acquire. That should do it.

    Alan, Jul 16, 2006
  8. Sweet Andy

    John Guest

    "Ben Dover" <> wrote in message news:yBrug.2565$...

    > I also use Irfenview for quick scanning jobs - it works very well. But
    > yes - as you say you must have a basic TWAIN driver installed. I would
    > think a google for it would find a driver he could use.

    Thanks guys - I didn't know TWAIN was a separate driver. I'll see if
    I can find one then that I can use with IrfanView. Ta!

    John, Jul 17, 2006
  9. Sweet Andy

    Susan Bugher Guest

    Sweet Andy wrote:

    > Looking for something to work with my HP scanner. Their stuff is pretty bad.
    > Would like to be able to scan, then save as output file. Thanks.

    Just FYI - I haven't seen any of these scanner apps mentioned:
    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_BUSINESS-HOME.php#5.00Scan-Print

    0X Copier
    Copying Machine (v 1.24)
    EasyScan
    Fastscanner
    iCarbon (was iCopy)
    Quick Copy 2 Printer
    SimpleCopier (v 3.31)

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, Jul 18, 2006
  10. Sweet Andy

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <>, hummingbird
    <> writes
    >On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:22:22 +1000 'John'
    >posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:
    >
    >><> wrote in message

    >>> Assuming you have the drivers installed, you can use irfanview to do
    >>> the scanning bit. I think many free image viewers allow this.

    >>I also have a HP printer/scanner/copier (HP PSC 1610) and want to scan without
    >>installing the .NET framework and their 100 MB+ software to do it.
    >>(The drivers
    >>do not include any scanning functionality: as I said, you need to install .NET
    >>and their bloated tools to do it).
    >>
    >>But IrfanView is not the answer -- it gives the following error. If I
    >>could find
    >>a freeware scanning app, then I too would be most grateful.
    >>

    >>---------------------------
    >>IrfanView
    >>---------------------------
    >>TWAIN error!
    >>Can't connect to device or the TWAIN driver is not installed !
    >>---------------------------
    >>OK
    >>---------------------------

    >That's presumably because you don't have TWAIN installed. I don't
    >know if HP scanners come with TWAIN s/w but I use Irfanview and
    >PhotoFiltre for scanning very successfully on my Epson scanner.
    >Can you not get TWAIN from HP?

    I acquired an old discarded PC with Windows 95 on it. It had no scanner
    software on it. I installed FastStone Viewer, and it seems to work fine
    with an equally elderly Mustek 6000P scanner. Apparently, no TWAIN
    driver is needed (unless there's one hidden in there somewhere).
    Ian.

    Ian Jackson, Jul 19, 2006
  11. Sweet Andy

    kromlovXD

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi all
    i have an HP printer/scanner/copier and the scanning software that came with it is really rubbish. if anyone could recommend me a good scanning software that can scan multiple pages and is easy to use, that would be great.

    Thanks

    kromlovXD, Dec 9, 2010