Scanning Freeware

Sweet Andy

Looking for something to work with my HP scanner. Their stuff is pretty bad.
Would like to be able to scan, then save as output file. Thanks.

htnakirs

Sweet said:
Looking for something to work with my HP scanner. Their stuff is pretty bad.
Would like to be able to scan, then save as output file. Thanks.

Assuming you have the drivers installed, you can use irfanview to do
the scanning bit. I think many free image viewers allow this.

John

Assuming you have the drivers installed, you can use irfanview to do
the scanning bit. I think many free image viewers allow this.

I also have a HP printer/scanner/copier (HP PSC 1610) and want to scan without
installing the .NET framework and their 100 MB+ software to do it. (The drivers
do not include any scanning functionality: as I said, you need to install .NET
and their bloated tools to do it).

But IrfanView is not the answer -- it gives the following error. If I could find
a freeware scanning app, then I too would be most grateful.

hummingbird

I also have a HP printer/scanner/copier (HP PSC 1610) and want to scan without
installing the .NET framework and their 100 MB+ software to do it. (The drivers
do not include any scanning functionality: as I said, you need to install .NET
and their bloated tools to do it).

But IrfanView is not the answer -- it gives the following error. If I could find
a freeware scanning app, then I too would be most grateful.

That's presumably because you don't have TWAIN installed. I don't
know if HP scanners come with TWAIN s/w but I use Irfanview and
PhotoFiltre for scanning very successfully on my Epson scanner.
Can you not get TWAIN from HP?

Ben Dover

That's presumably because you don't have TWAIN installed. I don't
know if HP scanners come with TWAIN s/w but I use Irfanview and
PhotoFiltre for scanning very successfully on my Epson scanner.
Can you not get TWAIN from HP?

I also use Irfenview for quick scanning jobs - it works very well. But
yes - as you say you must have a basic TWAIN driver installed. I would
think a google for it would find a driver he could use.

Good call on Irfenview - been using it for years for almost all my image
work.

hummingbird

I also use Irfenview for quick scanning jobs - it works very well. But
yes - as you say you must have a basic TWAIN driver installed. I would
think a google for it would find a driver he could use.

Good call on Irfenview - been using it for years for almost all my image
work.

It is excellent but I'm also finding PhotoFiltre v/good nowadays
for some things - eg cropping.

Alan

Sweet said:
Looking for something to work with my HP scanner. Their stuff is pretty bad.
Would like to be able to scan, then save as output file. Thanks.
I believe all you need to do is go to the HP support site and
download the drivers and software utility for one of their basic
scanners like the Scanjet IIc (very little bloatware in their old
scanning software.). Install it. Then launch Irfanview and tell
it which scanner you want to use (File | Select Twain Source).
Then perform File | Acquire. That should do it.

John

Ben Dover said:
I also use Irfenview for quick scanning jobs - it works very well. But
yes - as you say you must have a basic TWAIN driver installed. I would
think a google for it would find a driver he could use.

Thanks guys - I didn't know TWAIN was a separate driver. I'll see if
I can find one then that I can use with IrfanView. Ta!

Susan Bugher

Sweet said:
Looking for something to work with my HP scanner. Their stuff is pretty bad.
Would like to be able to scan, then save as output file. Thanks.

Just FYI - I haven't seen any of these scanner apps mentioned:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_BUSINESS-HOME.php#5.00Scan-Print

0X Copier
Copying Machine (v 1.24)
EasyScan
Fastscanner
iCarbon (was iCopy)
Quick Copy 2 Printer
SimpleCopier (v 3.31)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Ian Jackson

hummingbird said:
That's presumably because you don't have TWAIN installed. I don't
know if HP scanners come with TWAIN s/w but I use Irfanview and
PhotoFiltre for scanning very successfully on my Epson scanner.
Can you not get TWAIN from HP?

I acquired an old discarded PC with Windows 95 on it. It had no scanner
software on it. I installed FastStone Viewer, and it seems to work fine
with an equally elderly Mustek 6000P scanner. Apparently, no TWAIN
driver is needed (unless there's one hidden in there somewhere).
Ian.
--

Joined
Dec 9, 2010