Canoscan FS4000US IR/FARE Problem

Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought a used Canoscan FS4000US early last year and only now got around to testing it.

Unfortunately I have a problem with the infrared or FARE dust removal function. Maybe one of you can help me to fix the problem or has an idea where the problem comes from.

I am using the scanner with the latest version of Vuescan.
The development/conversion is done with Negative Lab Pro in Lightroom.
The actual scan works very well. However, on the second scan pass using infrared to remove dust, the scanner produces dark vertical stripes across the entire image.
When the IR scan and the regular scan are merged in the RAW output, these dark areas are also visible in the final image.
I use the Infrared Clean on the lightest level (I have tried all the other levels though).
I have taken pictures of the problem and have also attached the same image scanned from the lab for comparison.

I would be happy if you can help me :)

Attachments

• FINAL_IMAGE.png
    FINAL_IMAGE.png
    487.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IR_SCAN.png
    IR_SCAN.png
    337.3 KB · Views: 7
  • LAB_SCAN.png
    LAB_SCAN.png
    663.9 KB · Views: 3
  • REGULAR_SCAN.png
    REGULAR_SCAN.png
    394.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought a used Canoscan FS4000US early last year and only now got around to testing it.

Unfortunately I have a problem with the infrared or FARE dust removal function. Maybe one of you can help me to fix the problem or has an idea where the problem comes from.

I am using the scanner with the latest version of Vuescan.
The development/conversion is done with Negative Lab Pro in Lightroom.
The actual scan works very well. However, on the second scan pass using infrared to remove dust, the scanner produces dark vertical stripes across the entire image.
When the IR scan and the regular scan are merged in the RAW output, these dark areas are also visible in the final image.
I use the Infrared Clean on the lightest level (I have tried all the other levels though).
I have taken pictures of the problem and have also attached the same image scanned from the lab for comparison.

I would be happy if you can help me :)

Did you try the original Canon software ? Might be a calibration issue with Vuscan.

Ask a Question