Scanner and Camera Wizard gremlins!

Have one PC with 3 users running XP Home. Under user "A" the S&C wizard works great when a compact flash card is inserted into the USB reader. However, signing on as user "B" or user "C" the S&C wizard will not start! User A and user B are both "Admin" users with full rights. I put a shortcut to the Win Scanner & Camera wizard on user B's desktop and tried to start it that way. Doesn't work ... Win says that there is no device and I should install one. That doesn't work

How can I get user B's Scanner & Camera wizard to start when a CF card is inserted? Thanks much, this is driving me crazy

Jared Henderson [MSFT]

Are you able to view the contents of the CF card at all with user "B" or
"C"? If not, have you tried logging in as user "B" or "C" and reinstalling
the CF card reader?

cranktj said:
Have one PC with 3 users running XP Home. Under user "A" the S&C wizard
works great when a compact flash card is inserted into the USB reader.
However, signing on as user "B" or user "C" the S&C wizard will not start!
User A and user B are both "Admin" users with full rights. I put a shortcut
to the Win Scanner & Camera wizard on user B's desktop and tried to start it
that way. Doesn't work ... Win says that there is no device and I should
install one. That doesn't work.
How can I get user B's Scanner & Camera wizard to start when a CF card is
inserted? Thanks much, this is driving me crazy!

No I can't see the card with user "B" or "C", only with user "A". The reader is a USB plug and play and it does not come with any drivers or installation disk for Win XP. You just plug it in to the USB port. I've tried unplugging and re-plugging while logged on as "B", to no avail. Thanks.

cranktj said:
Have one PC with 3 users running XP Home. Under user "A" the S&C wizard
works great when a compact flash card is inserted into the USB reader.
However, signing on as user "B" or user "C" the S&C wizard will not start!
User A and user B are both "Admin" users with full rights. I put a shortcut
to the Win Scanner & Camera wizard on user B's desktop and tried to start it
that way. Doesn't work ... Win says that there is no device and I should
install one. That doesn't work.inserted? Thanks much, this is driving me crazy!

Jared Henderson [MSFT]

That is your problem then. As user "B", can you try the following:

0. Plug in the USB card reader
1. Hit Start > hit run > type "devmgmt.msc" > hit Enter
2. In the Device Manager, select your computer name from the list
3. Hit Action > Scan for hardware changes
4. Insert a CF card into the reader

cranktj said:
Have one PC with 3 users running XP Home. Under user "A" the S&C
wizard
works great when a compact flash card is inserted into the USB reader.
However, signing on as user "B" or user "C" the S&C wizard will not start!
User A and user B are both "Admin" users with full rights. I put a shortcut
to the Win Scanner & Camera wizard on user B's desktop and tried to start it
that way. Doesn't work ... Win says that there is no device and I should
install one. That doesn't work. card is
inserted? Thanks much, this is driving me crazy!

Are you able to view the contents of the CF card at all with user "B" or
"C"? If not, have you tried logging in as user "B" or "C" and reinstalling
the CF card reader?

(e-mail address removed)... user "A" the S&C wizard
works great when a compact flash card is inserted into the USB reader.
However, signing on as user "B" or user "C" the S&C wizard will not start!
User A and user B are both "Admin" users with full rights. I put a shortcut
to the Win Scanner & Camera wizard on user B's desktop and tried to start it
that way. Doesn't work ... Win says that there is no device and I should
install one. That doesn't work. start when a CF card is
inserted? Thanks much, this is driving me crazy!

.

learner

just a test, sorry
That is your problem then. As user "B", can you try the following:

0. Plug in the USB card reader
1. Hit Start > hit run > type "devmgmt.msc" > hit Enter
2. In the Device Manager, select your computer name from the list
3. Hit Action > Scan for hardware changes
4. Insert a CF card into the reader

(e-mail address removed)...
----- Jared Henderson [MSFT] wrote: -----

Are you able to view the contents of the CF card
at all with user "B"
or
"C"? If not, have you tried logging in as
user "B" or "C" and
reinstalling
the CF card reader?
warranties, and confers no
rights. Under user "A" the S&C
wizard
works great when a compact flash card is inserted
into the USB
reader.
However, signing on as user "B" or user "C" the
S&C wizard will not
start!
User A and user B are both "Admin" users with
full rights. I put a
shortcut
to the Win Scanner & Camera wizard on user B's
desktop and tried to
start it
that way. Doesn't work ... Win says that there
is no device and I
should
install one. That doesn't work.
to start when a CF
card is
inserted? Thanks much, this is driving me crazy!

.

I found a fix!
1) Download the MS Powertool "Tweak UI
2) Install Tweak UI on each user's deskto
3) In Tweak UI select My Computer, Autoplay, Type, then check "Enable Autoplay for removable drives
This fixes the problem
Note: this must be run for each user.

Angie and Richard

Can you please tell me what the executable is for the scanner and camera wizard because I would also like to put an icon for it on
my desktop.

Thanks!

Have one PC with 3 users running XP Home. Under user "A" the S&C wizard works great when a compact flash card is inserted into the
USB reader. However, signing on as user "B" or user "C" the S&C wizard will not start! User A and user B are both "Admin" users
with full rights. I put a shortcut to the Win Scanner & Camera wizard on user B's desktop and tried to start it that way. Doesn't
work ... Win says that there is no device and I should install one. That doesn't work.

How can I get user B's Scanner & Camera wizard to start when a CF card is inserted? Thanks much, this is driving me crazy!

Paul Ballou

wiaacmgr.exe
It should be located in this directory C:\WINDOWS\system32\wiaacmgr.exe

--
Paul Ballou
MVP Office

Control the things you can and Don't Worry about the things you can't
control.