    but did not find any answers.

    Thanks.

    TRCSr

    TRCSr, Mar 13, 2009

  2. TRCSr

    1PW Guest

    On 03/12/2009 09:02 PM, TRCSr sent:
    > WinXP, SP3. I am having a problem with the program SBAMSvc.exe hogging
    > my CPU time. Periodically everything slows down to a crawl and if I open
    > the Task Manager I find this program taking anywhere from 10% to 90% of
    > the CPU time. Does anybody know what this program is and if I can delete
    > it? I Googled it and apparently there are a lot of others with the same
    > question, but did not find any answers.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > TRCSr

    Do you have Sunbelt Software's Vipre or any other of their products
    installed and running?

    Pete
    --
    1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    1PW, Mar 13, 2009

  3. TRCSr

    TRCSr Guest

    As far as I know I do not have Vipre. I don't even know what that program
    is. I have Avanquest SystemSuite and that is all. This problem did seem to
    start after I upgraded SystemSuite to Ver. 9. I cannot get any response from
    Avanquest on this or other problems with their program. Is Vipre maybe
    something of theirs?

    Thanks

    TRCSr, Mar 13, 2009
  4. TRCSr

    JS Guest

    Do you have an AV app named "CounterSpy"

    --
    JS
    http://www.pagestart.com

    JS, Mar 13, 2009
  5. TRCSr

    Twayne Guest

    1PW wrote:
    > On 03/12/2009 09:02 PM, TRCSr sent:
    >> WinXP, SP3. I am having a problem with the program SBAMSvc.exe
    >> hogging my CPU time. Periodically everything slows down to a crawl
    >> and if I open the Task Manager I find this program taking anywhere
    >> from 10% to 90% of the CPU time. Does anybody know what this program
    >> is and if I can delete it? I Googled it and apparently there are a
    >> lot of others with the same question, but did not find any answers.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> TRCSr

    > Do you have Sunbelt Software's Vipre or any other of their products
    > installed and running?
    >
    > Pete

    Here's what Bill P Stucios has to say about it:

    So it either is, or was, installed from the look of it. "Safe" means
    not known to be part of a malware load and the cpu max out is mentioend
    too:
    ------------------
    Vipre Antivirus + Antispyware - SBAMSVC.EXE

    Sbamsvc.exe installs with Vipre Antivirus + Antispyware from Sunbelt
    Software. Vipre is described by the author as follows: "Vipre combines
    antivirus, antispyware, anti-rootkit, anti-malware and other security
    technologies into a seamless, tightly-integrated security solution." It
    is intended as a replacement for CounterSpy AntiSpyware. You'll find
    more information at
    http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/VIPRE/.

    If you use this program, you'll want to leave this file in place.
    Sbamsvc.exe is the main scanning engine. Some users have complained that
    this file uses up to 100% of their CPU resources. Sunbelt recommends
    upgrading to the latest available version.

    a.. Safe

    Sunbelt Software
    -----------------

    HTH,

    Twayne

    Twayne, Mar 13, 2009
  6. TRCSr

    TRCSr Guest

    I do not knowingly have the AV app "CounterSpy" and neither Vipre or that
    program shows up in the Add/Remove programs list.

    TRCSr

    TRCSr, Mar 13, 2009
  7. TRCSr

    Jim Guest

    http://getsatisfaction.com/sunbeltsoftware/topics/sbamsvc_exe_causing_100_cpu_utilization

    Jim, Mar 13, 2009
  8. TRCSr

    1PW Guest

    On 03/12/2009 09:02 PM, TRCSr sent:
    > WinXP, SP3. I am having a problem with the program SBAMSvc.exe hogging
    > my CPU time. Periodically everything slows down to a crawl and if I open
    > the Task Manager I find this program taking anywhere from 10% to 90% of
    > the CPU time. Does anybody know what this program is and if I can delete
    > it? I Googled it and apparently there are a lot of others with the same
    > question, but did not find any answers.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > TRCSr

    1) Do a search for, and then reply to this thread with the precise and
    complete pathname to SBAMSvc.exe

    2) Please upload the SBAMSvc.exe file to:

    <http://www.virustotal.com/>

    3) When Virus Total has rendered an analysis, please copy/paste the
    report to this thread.

    4) Was your system pre-built and purchased with Windows and other software?

    5) Would a prior owner/user/computer tech have installed any after
    market applications for you?

    Pete
    --
    1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    1PW, Mar 14, 2009
  9. TRCSr

    TRCSr Guest

    "1PW" <> wrote in message
    > On 03/12/2009 09:02 PM, TRCSr sent:
    >> WinXP, SP3. I am having a problem with the program SBAMSvc.exe hogging
    >> my CPU time. Periodically everything slows down to a crawl and if I open
    >> the Task Manager I find this program taking anywhere from 10% to 90% of
    >> the CPU time. Does anybody know what this program is and if I can delete
    >> it? I Googled it and apparently there are a lot of others with the same
    >> question, but did not find any answers.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> TRCSr

    > 1) Do a search for, and then reply to this thread with the precise and
    > complete pathname to SBAMSvc.exe
    >
    > 2) Please upload the SBAMSvc.exe file to:
    >
    > <http://www.virustotal.com/>
    >
    > 3) When Virus Total has rendered an analysis, please copy/paste the
    > report to this thread.
    >
    > 4) Was your system pre-built and purchased with Windows and other
    > software?
    >
    > 5) Would a prior owner/user/computer tech have installed any after
    > market applications for you?
    >
    > Pete
    > --
    > 1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    Thank you for the suggestion/request. I have myself in quite a pickle at the
    moment. Since the program was a part of the Vipre AV system, I thought that
    if I loaded the Vipre program and then uninstalled it, it would solve the
    problem. However, all that did was make things worse. The uninstall did not
    work (it hung up about 3/4 the way through) so I tried a re-install and that
    doesn't work because it is apparently looking for some files that it had
    already removed. So, when I boot up it starts the install program and then
    hangs because it can't find some files, I guess. Anyhow, while trying to do
    anything else with the computer I keep getting interrupted with these Window
    Installer windows (Preparing to Install) that pop up and I have to cancel
    out. Each time that happens the installer windows pop up 3 or 4 times then
    rests for a while, then come back, etc. Is there anyway to find out what is
    being loaded at bootup that I can cancel out this mess?

    Thanks.

    TRCSr, Mar 14, 2009
  10. TRCSr

    TRCSr Guest

    "1PW" <> wrote in message
    > On 03/12/2009 09:02 PM, TRCSr sent:
    >> WinXP, SP3. I am having a problem with the program SBAMSvc.exe hogging
    >> my CPU time. Periodically everything slows down to a crawl and if I open
    >> the Task Manager I find this program taking anywhere from 10% to 90% of
    >> the CPU time. Does anybody know what this program is and if I can delete
    >> it? I Googled it and apparently there are a lot of others with the same
    >> question, but did not find any answers.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> TRCSr

    > 1) Do a search for, and then reply to this thread with the precise and
    > complete pathname to SBAMSvc.exe
    >
    > 2) Please upload the SBAMSvc.exe file to:
    >
    > <http://www.virustotal.com/>
    >
    > 3) When Virus Total has rendered an analysis, please copy/paste the
    > report to this thread.
    >
    > 4) Was your system pre-built and purchased with Windows and other
    > software?
    >
    > 5) Would a prior owner/user/computer tech have installed any after
    > market applications for you?
    >
    > Pete
    > --
    > 1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    Sorry, I forgot to complete the answer to your questions. I purchased this
    computer new with WinXP Home installed.

    TRCSr, Mar 14, 2009
  11. TRCSr

    Jim Guest

    Helps to clean uninstall/install
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

    Jim, Mar 14, 2009
  12. TRCSr

    TRCSr Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > Helps to clean uninstall/install
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
    >

    > On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:23:51 -0400, "TRCSr" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"1PW" <> wrote in message
    >>> On 03/12/2009 09:02 PM, TRCSr sent:

    >>> 1) Do a search for, and then reply to this thread with the precise and
    >>> complete pathname to SBAMSvc.exe
    >>>
    >>> 2) Please upload the SBAMSvc.exe file to:
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.virustotal.com/>
    >>>
    >>> 3) When Virus Total has rendered an analysis, please copy/paste the
    >>> report to this thread.
    >>>
    >>> 4) Was your system pre-built and purchased with Windows and other
    >>> software?
    >>>
    >>> 5) Would a prior owner/user/computer tech have installed any after
    >>> market applications for you?
    >>>
    >>> Pete
    >>> --
    >>> 1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    >>Thank you for the suggestion/request. I have myself in quite a pickle at
    >>the
    >>moment. Since the program was a part of the Vipre AV system, I thought
    >>that
    >>if I loaded the Vipre program and then uninstalled it, it would solve the
    >>problem. However, all that did was make things worse. The uninstall did
    >>not
    >>work (it hung up about 3/4 the way through) so I tried a re-install and
    >>that
    >>doesn't work because it is apparently looking for some files that it had
    >>already removed. So, when I boot up it starts the install program and then
    >>hangs because it can't find some files, I guess. Anyhow, while trying to
    >>do
    >>anything else with the computer I keep getting interrupted with these
    >>Window
    >>Installer windows (Preparing to Install) that pop up and I have to cancel
    >>out. Each time that happens the installer windows pop up 3 or 4 times then
    >>rests for a while, then come back, etc. Is there anyway to find out what
    >>is
    >>being loaded at bootup that I can cancel out this mess?
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    Here are the results from VirusTotal
    File SBAMSvc.exe received on 03.03.2009 20:20:22 (CET)
    Current status: finished
    Result: 0/39 (0.00%)
    Compact Compact
    Print results Print results
    Antivirus Version Last Update Result
    a-squared 4.0.0.101 2009.03.03 -
    AhnLab-V3 5.0.0.2 2009.02.27 -
    AntiVir 7.9.0.98 2009.03.03 -
    Authentium 5.1.0.4 2009.03.03 -
    Avast 4.8.1335.0 2009.03.03 -
    AVG 8.0.0.237 2009.03.03 -
    BitDefender 7.2 2009.03.03 -
    CAT-QuickHeal 10.00 2009.03.03 -
    ClamAV 0.94.1 2009.03.03 -
    Comodo 1021 2009.03.03 -
    DrWeb 4.44.0.09170 2009.03.03 -
    eSafe 7.0.17.0 2009.03.03 -
    eTrust-Vet 31.6.6381 2009.03.03 -
    F-Prot 4.4.4.56 2009.03.03 -
    F-Secure 8.0.14470.0 2009.03.03 -
    Fortinet 3.117.0.0 2009.03.03 -
    GData 19 2009.03.03 -
    Ikarus T3.1.1.45.0 2009.03.03 -
    K7AntiVirus 7.10.656 2009.03.03 -
    Kaspersky 7.0.0.125 2009.03.03 -
    McAfee 5542 2009.03.03 -
    McAfee+Artemis 5542 2009.03.03 -
    Microsoft 1.4306 2009.03.03 -
    NOD32 3905 2009.03.03 -
    Norman 6.00.06 2009.03.03 -
    nProtect 2009.1.8.0 2009.03.03 -
    Panda 10.0.0.10 2009.03.03 -
    PCTools 4.4.2.0 2009.03.03 -
    Prevx1 V2 2009.03.03 -
    Rising 21.19.11.00 2009.03.03 -
    SecureWeb-Gateway 6.7.6 2009.03.03 -
    Sophos 4.39.0 2009.03.03 -
    Sunbelt 3.2.1858.2 2009.03.02 -
    Symantec 10 2009.03.03 -
    TheHacker 6.3.2.6.269 2009.03.02 -
    TrendMicro 8.700.0.1004 2009.03.03 -
    VBA32 3.12.10.1 2009.03.03 -
    ViRobot 2009.3.3.1632 2009.03.03 -
    VirusBuster 4.5.11.0 2009.03.03 -
    Additional information
    File size: 886056 bytes
    MD5...: 2124a1b885cec34611a01151ebb6b402
    SHA1..: 4f1e1c38d51a4a94921b8a854b12a2151cb94d89
    SHA256: 48ec3c6f34749d6d645823ebf7f2f1dcf964b5dce98665d4a1353d1f54a36186
    SHA512: b3ddf90b45c2d036a1e4a7f61435b2dbe1415429ac0f44790a470a3f39e7e2f3
    1cf2a21d1254b5283795f9f98c4b68206afe6115f284b0513390cf54dfad0eb5
    ssdeep: 12288:HUkpqcm58HTYU9WnwI/zCNaaCau4znBI4:HUkpqcm58HTYtnvOUaCKznBx
    PEiD..: -
    TrID..: File type identification
    Win32 Executable MS Visual C++ (generic) (65.2%)
    Win32 Executable Generic (14.7%)
    Win32 Dynamic Link Library (generic) (13.1%)
    Generic Win/DOS Executable (3.4%)
    DOS Executable Generic (3.4%)
    PEInfo: PE Structure information

    ( base data )
    entrypointaddress.: 0x653e7
    timedatestamp.....: 0x49075efe (Tue Oct 28 18:50:38 2008)
    machinetype.......: 0x14c (I386)

    ( 4 sections )
    name viradd virsiz rawdsiz ntrpy md5
    ..text 0x1000 0x813dc 0x82000 6.56 c70fd2e1da874321b8428d4eb0d7f65e
    ..rdata 0x83000 0x4aaae 0x4b000 3.94 be42abac2ef4f6cf45b0f1405278d084
    ..data 0xce000 0x77a8 0x5000 5.05 36b6738017a7b5c875b770997d13c7bd
    ..rsrc 0xd6000 0x3fa0 0x4000 5.56 0a5b54cc956ce35e1357d67420f06f82

    ( 17 imports )
> [...]
    > LoadLibraryExW, GetCommandLineW, EnterCriticalSection,
    > LeaveCriticalSection, TerminateThread, FileTimeToSystemTime,
    > FileTimeToLocalFileTime, FlushFileBuffers, WriteFile, CreateFileW,
    > ReadFile, GetFileSize, DeleteFileW, FindClose, FindNextFileW,
    > FindFirstFileW, CopyFileW, CreateDirectoryW, SetThreadPriority,
    > GetTickCount, ResetEvent, WaitForMultipleObjects, SetThreadExecutionState,
    > GetThreadPriority, GetSystemPowerStatus, lstrlenA, GetProcAddress,
    > LoadLibraryW, FormatMessageW, LocalFree, GetUserDefaultLangID,
    > SetFileAttributesW, WideCharToMultiByte, SystemTimeToFileTime,
    > GetSystemTime, LocalFileTimeToFileTime, GetLocalTime,
    > GetTimeZoneInformation, GetVersionExW, ExpandEnvironmentStringsW,
    > OpenProcess, GetDriveTypeW, HeapFree, GetProcessHeap, HeapAlloc,
    > SetFilePointer, GetCurrentProcessId, QueryPerformanceCounter,
    > CancelWaitableTimer, CreateWaitableTimerW, SetWaitableTimer,
    > GetSystemDirectoryA, HeapReAlloc, LoadLibraryA, GetModuleHandleA,
    > GetVersionExA, ReleaseMutex, GetSystemTimeAsFileTime,
    > GetCurrentDirectoryA, InterlockedExchange, GetStartupInfoA,
    > GetFullPathNameW
    > USER32.dll: UnregisterClassA, TranslateMessage, DispatchMessageW,
    > GetMessageW, CharNextW, PostThreadMessageW, LoadStringW, CharUpperW,
    > MessageBoxW, GetSystemMetrics, PeekMessageW, MsgWaitForMultipleObjects
    > ADVAPI32.dll: GetTokenInformation, RegisterEventSourceW, ReportEventW,
    > DeregisterEventSource, InitializeSecurityDescriptor,
    > SetSecurityDescriptorDacl, OpenProcessToken, LookupPrivilegeValueW,
    > AdjustTokenPrivileges, RegOpenKeyExW, RegDeleteValueW, RegCloseKey,
    > CloseServiceHandle, OpenServiceW, OpenSCManagerW, RegDeleteKeyW,
    > RegCreateKeyExW, RegQueryValueExW, RegSetValueExW, RegQueryInfoKeyW,
    > CopySid, GetLengthSid, IsValidSid, SetSecurityDescriptorOwner,
    > SetSecurityDescriptorGroup, SetServiceStatus, CreateServiceW,
    > DeleteService, ControlService, RegEnumKeyExW, OpenThreadToken,
    > RegisterServiceCtrlHandlerExW, StartServiceCtrlDispatcherW,
    > ChangeServiceConfig2W, ChangeServiceConfigW, RevertToSelf,
    > CreateProcessAsUserW, ImpersonateLoggedOnUser, DuplicateTokenEx,
    > CryptDecrypt, CryptEncrypt, CryptReleaseContext, CryptDestroyHash,
    > CryptDestroyKey, CryptDeriveKey, CryptHashData, CryptCreateHash,
    > CryptAcquireContextW, FreeSid, EqualSid, AllocateAndInitializeSid,
    > RegCreateKeyW
    > SHELL32.dll: SHCreateDirectoryExW, SHGetFolderPathW
    > ole32.dll: OleRun, CoInitializeEx, CoDisconnectObject,
    > CoInitializeSecurity, CoCreateInstance, StringFromGUID2, CoTaskMemFree,
    > CoRegisterClassObject, CoRevokeClassObject, CoTaskMemRealloc,
    > CoTaskMemAlloc, CoUninitialize, CoInitialize
    > OLEAUT32.dll: -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -
    > SHLWAPI.dll: PathFileExistsW, PathRemoveFileSpecW
    > WS2_32.dll: -, -, WSACloseEvent, WSASocketW, WSACreateEvent, -, -,
    > WSASend, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, WSAGetOverlappedResult,
    > WSAEnumNetworkEvents, -, WSAConnect, -, WSARecv, WSASetEvent,

    ( 0 exports )
    ThreatExpert info:
    http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=2124a1b885cec34611a01151ebb6b402

    ATENTION ATTENTION: VirusTotal is a free service offered by Hispasec
    Sistemas. There are no guarantees about the availability and continuity of
    this service. Although the detection rate

    TRCSr, Mar 14, 2009
  13. TRCSr

    eddiebhenry

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had the same problem with SystemSuite versions 9 and 10, which contains the SBAMSVC.exe service. I got rid of SBAMSVC by deleting all keys in the registry containing SBAMSVC, and the SBAM plugins for OUTLOOK. I also deleted all files on my computer with a SBAMSVC search. You may have to do this in windows safe mode, and may have to change the permissions on some of the registry keys, since they might be used at time of attempted deletion. After doing this and rebooting in normal windows you may have to go to component services to enable and restart the SystemSuite Task Manager service to start the SystemSuite firewall. After doing this I still have all of the funcitonality of SystemSuite without the annoying SBAMSVC.exe.

    eddiebhenry, Dec 29, 2009
  14. TRCSr

    eddiebhenry

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Same Problem with Avanquest but got rid of SBAMSVC

    eddiebhenry, Dec 29, 2009