Windows XP Saving Emails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey,

Any of you lot outlook express experts?! I have about 100 emails at work i want to save as files which i can just write to disk and im not sure how to do it. I mean, i know you can open an email and save it as a ".eml" file, but i dont fancy doing that with 100+ of them. Anyway i can select them all in outlook and save them all as files somewhere? even if it means arbitary names.

Cheers.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I use Outlook meself, I open the e-mail >> File >> Save As >> Option to save as either text or HTML.

Reaction score
Yeah, thats what i do aswell, but i want to save a lot and it would take ages, so i was looking for a way to highlight them all and save them all at once, even if it means saving them as "1.eml", "2.eml" etc.

Any thoughts peeps?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Yeah, thats what i do aswell, but i want to save a lot and it would take ages, so i was looking for a way to highlight them all and save them all at once, even if it means saving them as "1.eml", "2.eml" etc.

Any thoughts peeps?
I agree. If anybody does know a quicker way, I'd be interested to hear it as well.

I actually posted this same question on another forum a year or two ago, never did get any other suggestions :(

Reaction score
create a folder (.dbx) dump all the emails in it. easy as.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Techy said:
create a folder (.dbx) dump all the emails in it. easy as.
Care to elaborate on that?

Not sure what you mean :confused:

If I highlight all e-mails in Outlook, it seems I only have the option to save them in a folder within Outlook.

I've been saving them in a folder elsewhere for archiving (backup) using the Save As option for each individual e-mail. A time extensive chore.

I can't see how you can do a multi copy/transfer.

And what's with the .dbx extension?

Sorry if I a bit fick, software not really my forte ;)

Reaction score
right,

this is outlook express were talking about right? if it's outlook its slightly different.

in OE if you right click on where it says "local folders" create a new folder, then add the emails you require into that folder.

the right click the folder you have just created and click properties this will give you the location of the folder eg "C:\Documents and Settings\Ausername\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{E99970E4-9E02-440F-BAC8-4A5796135F44}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\test folder.dbx" (thats where the dbx file comes in) then all you need to do is copy this file and copy to the destination machine you can then use an app like this to extract the emails.

this isn't as easily as i first though, Outlook express isn't as efficient as Outlook. another way to do this would be to back up the whole email account and restore it to the destination machine.

not sure if the above is what your after like i said it's not as straight forward as i thought, but it will do it.

James

Reaction score
Hmmm, this doesnt sound like its that easy. Im going to play about with it tomorrow at work while im meant to be doing stuff! There must be a way of doing it. You would think there would be a programme which would just extract them into ".eml" files or something.

Reaction score
just backup the data files, then you can restore them when needed, or extract certain emails...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Where, exactly, on C drive do the e-mails lurk?

I've searched with all views enabled, can't find them anywhere.

They're not in Application Data, MS Office, Program Files or anywhere else I've looked.

I'm stumped.

Reaction score
See Pic :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• sfgsdghdher.JPG
    sfgsdghdher.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 385

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Great. OK, I may be dumb, but where is it in Outlook? I can't seem to find that thing :(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Any of you lot outlook express experts?! I have about 100 emails at work i want to save as files which i can just write to disk and im not sure how to do it. I mean, i know you can open an email and save it as a ".eml" file, but i dont fancy doing that with 100+ of them. Anyway i can select them all in outlook and save them all as files somewhere? even if it means arbitary names.

Cheers.

http://www.softheap.com/oebackup.html
:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question