Saving a .pdf file to folder

Hello,

I have Vista Ultimate installed on a PC on which I am the only user. I
paid a bill online and when I tried to save the receipt document as an Adobe
PDF file to another drive, I got the message that I could not save to the
folder on thast drive and that I had to contact the system administrator.
The folder I had tried to save to was in my old 'My Documents' folder on a
seperate internal drive (non system drive). BTW Adobe Professional is
installed and has a printer driver installed so that I can savwe documents
as PDF files. Is there a simple switch to turn off so that I can navigate
freely around my own computer?

Thanks,

Shane

John Barnett MVP

I've saved pdf and other files to an alternative drive. A message does
appear telling me that i need permission (can't recall the exact wording)
but when i click the continue button ( i think its continue, i haven't done
this for a month or so) i get access to the drive and the file saves.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Paul

To gain full control of your computer you must disable UAC.
1. Click Start
2. Control Panel
3. User Accounts
4. Make changes to your User Account
5.Turn User Account control on or off
6. Uncheck the box...Use User account control (UAC) to help protect your
computer.
7. Click OK button

Thats it. Now you have control of your computer.

NEXT... to keep from logging in every time you turn on the computer,

Still in control panel...
1. Click Parental Controls
2. At the computer Administrator icon click to remove password or (no
password).

no spam said:
I got the message that I could not save to the
folder on thast drive and that I had to contact the system administrator.
The folder I had tried to save to was in my old 'My Documents' folder on

you got that message because you're a stupid user which disabled the UAC.
In fact with UAC "On", you'll get a prompt in order to change the file
permissions easely.
SO, again... DON'T BE STUPID AND KEEP UAC ON!

John Barnett MVP

I certainly wouldn't be looking at disabling UAC.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

John Barnett MVP

Having checked the procedure this is what should happen. I have UAC enabled,
incidentally. If you don't (which i don't recommend) then this is probably
why you are experiencing problems.

1/ Right Click the pdf file and select Copy
2/ Click the folder (on your other drive) where you want to paste the file
3/ You should see a message 'you don't currently have permission to access
this folder. Click Continue to access this folder.'
4/ Press Continue
5/ UAC kicks in and asks you for permission to continue, again press the
continue button
6/ The folder should now open
7/ Now Right Click on the folder and select Paste (You can actually do this
without going through steps 1 to 5 but i've included them so you can see
what messages appear.)
8/ You should now see a message which says, 'you'll need to provide
administator permission to copy to this folder.' Click Continue to copy to
this folder
9/ Press the Continue button
10/ Again UAC kicks in and ask permission for you to continue, again press
the continue button
11/ The file will now copy to the new folder

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

7/ You shopuld now see

Rock

Paul said:
To gain full control of your computer you must disable UAC.
1. Click Start
2. Control Panel
3. User Accounts
4. Make changes to your User Account
5.Turn User Account control on or off
6. Uncheck the box...Use User account control (UAC) to help protect your
computer.
7. Click OK button

Thats it. Now you have control of your computer.

NEXT... to keep from logging in every time you turn on the computer,

Still in control panel...
1. Click Parental Controls
2. At the computer Administrator icon click to remove password or (no
password).

No need to turn off UAC for a simple permissions issue.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Shane,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

I notice more peers have provided some useful information. You may refer to
their suggestions first. Thanks for all guys kindly input.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>