Saving docs as .pdf files

Hello,

I have a new installation of Vista Home Premium. I also have Adobe Acrobat
Pro installed. When I tried to save a web page (receipt) as a pdf file
Vista won't let me save to the directory of my choosing. Instead a message
comes up and says that I must contact the system adminitrator to do so.
What is a simple way to authorize Vista to allow me to do this? It is a
frequent requirement for me to save items as pdf files i.e. print to the
Adobe printer driver and place the resultant pdf file in a specific
directory on a hard drive (I have multiple drives on this machine).

Thanks for you help.
Shane

watercress_soup

are you the owner of said folders you want to save to? i would guess you
are. try a test save to your documents folder. what about saving other file
types to pdf, i.e. not from ie7.

it works for me saving as pdf from ie. i am using cutepdf writer.

steve

RobDee

no spam said:
Hello,

I have a new installation of Vista Home Premium. I also have Adobe
Acrobat Pro installed. When I tried to save a web page (receipt) as a pdf
file Vista won't let me save to the directory of my choosing. Instead a
message comes up and says that I must contact the system adminitrator to
do so. What is a simple way to authorize Vista to allow me to do this?
It is a frequent requirement for me to save items as pdf files i.e. print
to the Adobe printer driver and place the resultant pdf file in a specific
directory on a hard drive (I have multiple drives on this machine).

I had something similar (though not your exact problem) until I did the
Always Run as Admin thing - in properties for Acrobat.

Frank Bright

I had your exact same problem running Acrobat 7.0.9, which as it turns out
is not compatible with Vista. I was on the phone with the Microsoft Research
team for 4 days on this one, and they couldn't figure it out.

The only way you can save web pages as Pdf's is to turn off the User Account
Control completely (in control panel), which I was not willing to do.

Acrobat 8.0 is out but it won't be compatible with Vista until they release
an update. Adobe says that will be "sometime in the first 6 months of 2007".

I took the alternative of saving web pages with the 'Microsoft Office
Document Image Writer", their version of adobe files. It should be in your
printer choices dialogue when you bring up your printer interface.

Good Luck, Frank

RobDee

Frank Bright said:
I had your exact same problem running Acrobat 7.0.9, which as it turns out
is not compatible with Vista. I was on the phone with the Microsoft
Research team for 4 days on this one, and they couldn't figure it out.

The only way you can save web pages as Pdf's is to turn off the User
Account Control completely (in control panel), which I was not willing to
do.

Acrobat 8.0 is out but it won't be compatible with Vista until they
release an update. Adobe says that will be "sometime in the first 6 months
of 2007".

Hi Frank,
I have to update you here - I am currently using Acro Pro version 8 in Vista
without problems - so maybe the update has been quietly released.

Rob

Richard Urban

no spam said:
Hello,

I have a new installation of Vista Home Premium. I also have Adobe
Acrobat Pro installed. When I tried to save a web page (receipt) as a pdf
file Vista won't let me save to the directory of my choosing. Instead a
message comes up and says that I must contact the system adminitrator to
do so. What is a simple way to authorize Vista to allow me to do this?
It is a frequent requirement for me to save items as pdf files i.e. print
to the Adobe printer driver and place the resultant pdf file in a specific
directory on a hard drive (I have multiple drives on this machine).

Thanks for you help.
Shane

I have that problem with Adobe Acrobat 7.09 (latest version). Couldn't save
anywhere, no matter what my permissions were. It is due to the fact that
Adobe 7.09 is not fully compatible with Vista. I don't think that version 8
is fully
compatible yet either.

I have dumped Adobe 7.09 at this point. I installed the Adobe Reader 8.0. I
am now using the .pdf plug-in for Office 2007. I highlight the part of the
web page I want to save. Then I copy the highlighted portion and paste it
into a Word document. I then do a "save as" from within Word and save it as
a .pdf file. The file then immediately opens in Adobe Reader 8.0.

It is a few more steps but it works perfectly.

If you don't have Office 2007 you may want to look at one of the cheaper
alternatives, such as the one published by Scansoft Software.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Joe Guidera

Try RIGHT clicking on the page and selecting "Convert to PDF" instead of
print to adobe pdf. There are a number of known issues with Adobe Acrobat
running under Vista (IE running in protected mode).

Joe

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Shane,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

I notice that you have posted the same question in our
<microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management> newsgroup, to which I have
already responded. Please check my answer there, and if you need any
further assistance on this particular issue please reply to me in that
thread so I can follow up with you. In the future, please don't cross-post
the same question in multiple newsgroups. This will help our engineers
work on your question more efficiently. Your understanding and cooperation
is appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "no spam" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Saving docs as .pdf files
| Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 18:19:54 +1000
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vist
a.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security