    How would I configure a dual boot.
    Would be thankful for any advice.
    Bob

    RCPOLK, Jun 3, 2008

  2. RCPOLK

    Andrew E. Guest

    Read kb306559

    Andrew E., Jun 4, 2008

  3. "RCPOLK" wrote:
    >I would like to put Windows XP Home on one drive (Sata #1)
    > and Vista x64 on sata drive #2.
    > The pata drive has my CD/DVD drive. Four sata connectors
    > and one IDE. JUst built the machine so there is nothing on the
    > drives yet.
    >
    > How would I configure a dual boot.
    > Would be thankful for any advice.
    > Bob

    Read: http://www.aiscl.co.uk/dualbootvista.php
    and read this if you don't trust yourself with command lines:
    http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_xp__stepbystep_guide_with_screenshots.htm
    Be aware that the normal dual-booting between Vista and XP will
    cause their Restore Point files to interfere. There are ways around
    this, the easiest way is to just accept it and compensate with regular
    and frequent backups.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Jun 4, 2008
  4. RCPOLK

    Ed Covney Guest

    You could also do it through your BIOS. Install XP
    on the S1 drive when S2's drive is disconnected, then
    install Vista on S2's drive when S1 is disconnected.

    Now connect both drives and in BIOS select the drive
    you'd like to boot to. (S1 or S2's drive). Never a
    problem although it does take a little longer to re-boot
    to the other OS.

    Ed

    Ed Covney, Jun 5, 2008
  5. RCPOLK

    Missing Link Guest

    Further to Ed's reply on my motherboard I can press F12 on boot which
    produces a menu which allows me to choose which drive to start from. This
    means I do not have to switch things around in the BIOS. The advantage is
    that it will always boot to the default when I want it to.

    Missing Link, Jun 6, 2008