Desktop With Two Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by tb, May 9, 2012.

  1. tb

    tb Guest

    I am not much of a hardware expert...

    I have a desktop with an Intel DQ965GF motherboard. Right now, Ubuntu
    11.10 is installed on its hard drive.

    The desktop has one SATA hard drive installed. I have this old IDE
    hard drive that I would like to install too and maybe put another Linux
    distribution on it. Therefore the desktop would be dual-booting and
    have two hard drives: one (the primary one) with SATA interface and
    the other one with IDE. (The desktop has both SATA and IDE headers on
    the motherboard.) GRUB2 will be installed on the SATA drive.

    Question 1: Is it possible to have two hard drives with different data
    architectures installed on the same motherboard? Any drawbacks?

    Question 2: How does the system know that the SATA hard drive is the
    one to boot from? SATA drives do not have master/slave jumpers. Is
    there some sort of flag in the BIOS or the two disks' MBR that signals
    which hard drive is the one to boot from after POST?

    Just curious...

    --
    tb

    tb, May 9, 2012

  2. tb

    Paul Guest

    tb wrote:
    > I am not much of a hardware expert...
    >
    > I have a desktop with an Intel DQ965GF motherboard. Right now, Ubuntu
    > 11.10 is installed on its hard drive.
    >
    > The desktop has one SATA hard drive installed. I have this old IDE
    > hard drive that I would like to install too and maybe put another Linux
    > distribution on it. Therefore the desktop would be dual-booting and
    > have two hard drives: one (the primary one) with SATA interface and
    > the other one with IDE. (The desktop has both SATA and IDE headers on
    > the motherboard.) GRUB2 will be installed on the SATA drive.
    >
    > Question 1: Is it possible to have two hard drives with different data
    > architectures installed on the same motherboard? Any drawbacks?
    >
    > Question 2: How does the system know that the SATA hard drive is the
    > one to boot from? SATA drives do not have master/slave jumpers. Is
    > there some sort of flag in the BIOS or the two disks' MBR that signals
    > which hard drive is the one to boot from after POST?
    >
    > Just curious...

    Each drive is handled independently.

    A lot of the motherboard BIOS I have here, work at two levels
    when specifying devices. The top level might be

    Floppy
    CDROM
    Hard Drive
    Net Boot (or other alternative method)

    Then, within the Hard Drive area, there is a separate control,
    that puts the drives in order

    HDD3
    HDD1
    HDD2

    If HDD3 didn't have an MBR with valid signature, then the BIOS might
    be able to skip to the next one in the list. And if none were valid,
    perhaps it would "fall through" the Hard Drive entry, and you'd see
    a PXE netboot status message (spinning cursor).

    And all of that is happening at the BIOS level.

    *******

    If your motherboard is modern enough, it may support a "popup boot
    menu". That is an option, that doesn't require "entering" the BIOS,
    and allows a temporary boot selection to be made. It looks like
    a tiny boot manager. I use that here, when booting from hard
    drives, as it saves having to enter the BIOS, and do a
    "Save and Exit" to select another disk. On one motherboard,
    I press F8 to trigger that. On another motherboard, the
    key is F11. Check the first screen full of text in the BIOS,
    and look at the bottom line of the screen, to see hints as
    to what keys control these functions. (For example, my current
    motherboard would say "Press DEL to enter BIOS, or F8 for Popup Boot".
    Something along those lines, with a couple defined key presses.)

    If your motherboard is set to "Full Screen Logo" mode, and
    only a cartoon graphic is present during POST, then the
    very first thing you do is enter the BIOS and disable it. And
    then you can see all the text I'm referring to. (Once "Full Screen
    Logo" is disabled, the POST process will show all its text messages.)

    Paul

    Paul, May 9, 2012