Windows XP Safe to delete c:\Windows\Installer ??

Reaction score
This is a continuation of the thread in archive https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/safe-deleted-files-c-windows-installer-t211705.html

I had a large program the un-installation of which failed with some cryptic message “Unable to uninstall...” or something. I looked for the program in the Control Panel add/remove programs application, but it wasn’t listed. But then I found it again in c:\program files\...

So I did the old standby: I deleted the c:\program files\... directory, (freeing up 380 MB) then run a registry cleanup tool. I also delete the related files & directories in c:\documents and settings\<user name>\...

I have heard this procedure is dangerous, but it seems to work every time, esp. for those programs that can not be uninstalled using control panel add/remove.

Also, I went into c:\windows\installer and looked for a direcory with the classid of the deleted program, found it, deleted that, too.

So that’s the story. The question is: Are there any dangers inherent in this approach?

I would appreciate some discussion, like the one in the archive. I didn’t see this method posted there, and would like some reassurance. (Or a slap on the wrist, whichever applies!)

-Have a good day!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The question is: Are there any dangers inherent in this approach?
Well, that program may not now work. :)

In the days before uninstallers, one went looking & deleting, wasn't always the best approach for the 'new person' but never did any harm to leave old programs be.

:user:

Reaction score
its not a good idea of deleting an application when there is many file file associations comes with in registry. and your computer will look like handicaped one if you continue to unistall unwanted programmes like this.. there are many third party softwares that helps.:sleep:

Ask a Question