rpcss.dll file

Joshua J. Webb

I am a student among many in the class trying to install
windows 2000 Professional. The format process completes
fine. While installing the files the setup stops at file
rpcss.dll and will not will not load. We can skip the
file and continue with the process. We have checked the
knowledge base and found a way to resolve the problem
after the op is installed, but would like to find a way
to fix the problem and install the file during setup.
Could it be a CD-ROM/HDD problem? Thank you.

Carrie Garth \(MVP\)

Hi Joshua,

Have you seen the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article (partial quote below)?

KB257954 - Random Files May Not Be Copied During Text-Mode Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=257954

"CAUSE
This behavior can occur because of any of the following reasons:
The Windows CD-ROM is damaged or dirty.
PC133 SDRAM is being used in a computer that requires PC100 SDRAM.
The CD-ROM drive is malfunctioning.
The RAM is mismatched or the memory is faulty."

And on the subject of faulty RAM, here's what another user with the same problem had
to say about it: