Routing IPX - how do I get it to work?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Networking' started by Balance, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. Balance

    Balance Guest

    I've just set up a wireless network - I've got a wireless router (cisco
    aironet 1200) in my main office and in the remote office a W2k server with
    a wireless card in.

    The W2k server runs DHCP and RRAS and is successfully routing TCP/IP.

    However, I have a netware server running IPX/SPX in my main office (it is
    old and TCP/IP is not an option) and the PCs in the remote office cannot
    get access - I have turned on IPX routing in RRAS and even installed the
    ASAP agent with no luck. In RRAS the wired LAN card is showing as
    "operational state : down" for IPX/SPX.

    Does anyone have any idea how to get IPX/SPX client PCs talking to an
    IPX/SPX network across this sort of wireless link.

    Assistance most appreicated - yes I have considered moving it all to
    TCP/IP but that will take some significant work which I plan to do - I am
    just hoping for a quick temporary fix.

    Thanks

    Balance, Sep 13, 2004

  2. Is the IPX/SPX actually installed on the RRAS machine? It will also have to
    be installed on every machine that want to communicat with the IPX machine.
    IPX/SPX must be installed on evey involved machine, RRAS is a "router", it
    is not a Protocol Gateway.

    --

    Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Sep 13, 2004

  3. I think you also have to set a network number for the IPX/SPX in the
    protocol config on each machine. But that is a bit of a guess, I am a little
    rusty on my IPX/SPX. The network number can be arbitrarily choosen, but it
    is common practice to use the network ID from TCP/IP for this after removing
    the dots. For example, the TCP/IP network ID of 192.168.1.0 would be written
    as 19216810 for the network ID in IPX/SPX. The RRAS box, I guess, would need
    two,...one for each Interface.

    Phillip Windell, Sep 13, 2004
  4. Balance

    Balance Guest

    RRAS and all the machines have IPX/SPX installed.

    I cannot see how to define the IPX network number on the interface on the
    RRAS server - it has an internal number but I cannot identify how to
    tell it the actual network address I want to use (probably because the
    server is not actually a netware server). I think that is where I am
    stuck - because there is no server on the remote side the clients dion't
    wake up and look for netware.

    Balance, Sep 16, 2004
  5. "Balance" <> wrote in message
    > I cannot see how to define the IPX network number on the interface on the
    > RRAS server - it has an internal number but I cannot identify how to
    > tell it the actual network address I want to use (probably because the
    > server is not actually a netware server). I think that is where I am
    > stuck - because there is no server on the remote side the clients dion't
    > wake up and look for netware.

    It is somewhere in the IPX/SPX Properties on each NIC. I don't have any
    here, so I cannot verify where it is. But is it a normal part of the IPX/SPX
    configuration,...it has to be there somewhere.

    Phillip Windell, Sep 16, 2004