Reverting to SP1?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Basics' started by William Lurie, Feb 9, 2011.

  1. I still have not solved the mystery of how to simply 'reply' to a
    message posted here. That's why I'm unfortunately starting a new
    thread......not even knowing if it will post.

    Tim Meddick wrote:

    > If U have a reasonably large hard-disk (today's PC's are usually sized
    > 160GB as standard and 300GB to be described as extra-large), then you
    > could re-size your current system partition on your hd and make a
    > smaller partition to install your original copy of XP again - but
    > [obviously] do not upgrade it to SP3. The second XP installation should
    > appear on the XP Boot/Startup menu as another operating system. Use
    > this second XP installation to install your older printer, and also,
    > when you need to print something off.

    All good except that the machine came with XP installed, there just
    ain't no installation disk, Tim.

    > But, I would seriously advise that, before going to the trouble of
    > creating your dual-boot system, that you try to find a friend who has XP
    > SP1 and see if the printer and it's drivers will install correctly.
    > But, if you can't find another XP SP1 installation, it's easier to
    > reverse the dual-boot procedure than to create it.

    Don't need to, Tim...the scanner served well back in the SP1 days.
    How troublesome would uninstalling SP3/SP2 be?

    William Lurie, Feb 9, 2011

  2. William Lurie

    philo Guest

    "William Lurie" <> wrote in message
    >I still have not solved the mystery of how to simply 'reply' to a message
    >posted here. That's why I'm unfortunately starting a new thread......not
    >even knowing if it will post.

    Just hit group reply

    anyway though you can revert to SP1 I'd advise you to keep sp3

    what types of errors are you getting when you use the driver with SP3 ?

    philo, Feb 10, 2011

  3. philo wrote:
    > "William Lurie" <> wrote in message
    >> I still have not solved the mystery of how to simply 'reply' to a message
    >> posted here. That's why I'm unfortunately starting a new thread......not
    >> even knowing if it will post.
    >>

    > Just hit group reply
    >
    > anyway though you can revert to SP1 I'd advise you to keep sp3
    >

    > what types of errors are you getting when you use the driver with SP3 ?

    The Visioneer software does not fully load. It hangs part way through.
    Visioneer now has told me that the old software won't work in WSP3 and
    they don't have an upgrade.

    I'm going to deep six the 8920....cheaper than tilting at the windmill.

    William Lurie, Feb 10, 2011
  4. To end this thread:

    Yes, I have a whole HP partition which is for Restore purposes, but I
    have no stomach for reinstalling years of finely tuned apps.

    As for Add/Remove, there is no sign of anything in there related to
    SP1/Sp2/Sp3.

    I wanted SP1 to be able to run an older Visioneer scanner which the
    manufacturer claims won't run on SP3. But for a decent price, Visioneer
    is selling me a factory-refurbished and warranted more modern version,
    of the old scanner. So for only a moderate cost, I hope I will be back
    doing hi-res scans of 35mm slides again.

    Thanks for all suggestions.

    William Lurie, Feb 10, 2011
  5. William Lurie

    > To end this thread:
    >
    > Yes, I have a whole HP partition which is for Restore purposes, but I
    > have no stomach for reinstalling years of finely tuned apps.
    >
    > As for Add/Remove, there is no sign of anything in there related to
    > SP1/Sp2/Sp3.
    >
    > I wanted SP1 to be able to run an older Visioneer scanner which the
    > manufacturer claims won't run on SP3. But for a decent price, Visioneer
    > is selling me a factory-refurbished and warranted more modern version,
    > of the old scanner. So for only a moderate cost, I hope I will be back
    > doing hi-res scans of 35mm slides again.
    >
    > Thanks for all suggestions.

    As much as I like to continue using old equipment...
    I think it's a smart choice to keep with SP3...and not roll back to SP1
    it's a shame the mfg did not update their driver

    philo, Feb 10, 2011