Returned vulnerabilities, Messenger Spam, pls. HELP

M

mk

I applied lots of MVP's advices with success and using Symantec security check for verification I achieved stealth status for all ports it can check. As a result for one or two days there was no Messenger Spam on my screen.

But the messenger spam returned in a series and rechecked security did find open ports as UPnP, ICMP in my computer. And other ports were just closed, but not stealth.

Rechecked all my settings, they did not change. After that I did nothing else just switched off and on my computer. Rerun Symantec's security check and the right status returned. All ports are stealth and no spam so far, thank God.

1) Why is security so unstable? (XP's built in ICF and ZoneAlarm firewalls are both running)

2) How can one control TCP/IP ports individually that only harmless traffic is permitted.

Please, HELP
MK

N

Nicholas

You should not enable XP's firewall if you are also running
a third-party firewall....they will conflict with each other.

--
Nicholas

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I applied lots of MVP's advices with success and using Symantec security check for verification I achieved stealth status for all ports it can check. As a result for one or two days there was no Messenger Spam on my screen.

But the messenger spam returned in a series and rechecked security did find open ports as UPnP, ICMP in my computer. And other ports were just closed, but not stealth.

Rechecked all my settings, they did not change. After that I did nothing else just switched off and on my computer. Rerun Symantec's security check and the right status returned. All ports are stealth and no spam so far, thank God.

1) Why is security so unstable? (XP's built in ICF and ZoneAlarm firewalls are both running)

2) How can one control TCP/IP ports individually that only harmless traffic is permitted.

Please, HELP
MK

M

mk

Thanks Nicholas. First I thought the same way as you. But the two firewall
are running in harmony. Seemingly, they are performing different tasks. For
example ZoneAlarm could never stop the Messenger spam while ICF has no user
friendly selective program control.
MK

You should not enable XP's firewall if you are also running
a third-party firewall....they will conflict with each other.

--
Nicholas

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------

I applied lots of MVP's advices with success and using Symantec security
check for verification I achieved stealth status for all ports it can check.
As a result for one or two days there was no Messenger Spam on my screen.

But the messenger spam returned in a series and rechecked security did find
open ports as UPnP, ICMP in my computer. And other ports were just closed,
but not stealth.

Rechecked all my settings, they did not change. After that I did nothing
else just switched off and on my computer. Rerun Symantec's security check
and the right status returned. All ports are stealth and no spam so far,
thank God.

1) Why is security so unstable? (XP's built in ICF and ZoneAlarm firewalls
are both running)

2) How can one control TCP/IP ports individually that only harmless traffic
is permitted.

Please, HELP