restoring a dialog box

medani

I am using Windows XP in my work PC with a local network.
I made my PC to remember my local network username and
password. Since then the dialog box for the username and
password disappeared allowing me to access
automatically.Now I need to reset that dialog box.

pauly [MSFT]

Hi Medani,

METHOD #1

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type "control userpasswords2" (without the quotation
marks), and then click OK.

3. In the dialog box that appears, check the "Users must enter a user name
and password to use this computer" check box, and then click OK.

METHOD #2

1. Click Start, click Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks),and
then
click OK to start Registry Editor.

2. Locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

3. Double-click the AutoAdminLogon entry on the right pane, type "0"
(without the quotation marks) in the Value Data box, and then click OK.

4. If there is no AutoAdminLogon entry, follow these steps to create the
entry:

a. On the Registry Editor menu, click Edit, click New, and then click
String Value.

b. Type "AutoAdminLogon" (without the quotation marks) as the value name,
and then press ENTER.

c. Double-click the newly created key, and then type "0" (without the
quotation marks) in the Value Data box.

5. Quit Registry Editor.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES:

315231 How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315231

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE