Restore registry from within a new instance of Win2k

Richard L

Hi,

I wrecked my Registry on Win2kProSP1 and up-to-date with WinUpdate. I saved
my registry to a Temp .reg file before making (bad) registry changes (to
get my HP scanner working again). Can no longer boot that instance of
Win2K.

Tried to use an old Emergency Repair Disk, but it failed, probably because
the last backup of the registry I made with Microsoft's Backup is too old.

So I created a new instance of Win2K in a different partition, thinking I
could use it to repair the registry in my broken instance..

Brought up RegEdit and tried to import saved registry xxx.reg. After
apparently importing all 50+ MBytes of it, I got "Cannot import
I:\Temp\RegistryBackup-4Apr2004.reg: Error accessing the registry." So I'm
stuck.

How can I import the ecported .reg file in the broken instance from within
the newly created Win2k instance?

TIA,
Richard

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Richard L" <[email protected]>
Subject: Restore registry from within a new instance of Win2k
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:20:08 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry

[...]

----

Richard,

It is possible there is a third party or share utility that will allow this to be done more easily and if there is hopefully some one
will post info about it.

The only way I know to do this you would need to know which hive of the registry you had been modifying, Software or
System. Once we know this you can do a Load Hive from the Registry menu in Regedt32.exe to load that hive from the
original installation with a name of say Test. You would then need to make a copy of your REG file and modify it to restore
only the section you had changed and to make it point to the new Test path in the registry. You can then import this REG file
in Regedit.exe or by double clicking it to incorporate the changes to our Test hive. Now go back to Regedt32.exe and
Unload Hive, which will write the changed hive back to the original installation. Once this is done try booting into the original
install.

I hope this helps.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Richard L" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:20:08 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry

[...]

Mark V

In said:
Hi,

I wrecked my Registry on Win2kProSP1 and up-to-date with
WinUpdate. I saved my registry to a Temp .reg file

Do you mean you did an Export of an entire hive to a text .REG format
file? If so, that is not a valid means to backup the registry and
cannot be used as a fix by merging (import) it back.
before making
(bad) registry changes (to get my HP scanner working again). Can
no longer boot that instance of Win2K.

Tried to use an old Emergency Repair Disk, but it failed,
probably because the last backup of the registry I made with
Microsoft's Backup is too old.

So I created a new instance of Win2K in a different partition,
thinking I could use it to repair the registry in my broken
instance..

Brought up RegEdit and tried to import saved registry xxx.reg.
After apparently importing all 50+ MBytes of it, I got "Cannot
import I:\Temp\RegistryBackup-4Apr2004.reg: Error accessing the
registry." So I'm stuck.

How can I import the ecported .reg file in the broken instance
from within the newly created Win2k instance?

If I understand you you cannot. You may be able to extract
information from selected portions and merge just the known important
parts perhaps. Or use the information to make some changes manually.

Do you know the specific keys that are the problem?

If you want to backup a few steps to what happened and exactly what
you did try before ever doing a new second installation, it might be
that a solution has been overlooked.

Mark V

In said:
[...]

Hi Bill & Mark,

Thanks for your responses. It took me a while to respond because I had to
get a stable second instance working, install my antivirus, and then hunt
for the article I was using as guidance for making registry changes.
make a copy of your REG file and modify it to restore only the section you
had changed

Bill, you had this as one step in a possible plan, but I had deleted a
number of keys, so there's no way I could restore them ** and their
contents **
If you want to backup a few steps to what happened and exactly what you
did try before ever doing a new second installation, it might be that a
solution has been overlooked.

Mike, you asked this.

Here's a brief summary. My HP5200c ScanJet stopped working some months ago.
When I did the original install, I was somehow directed to drives for the
HP6300c (which occurred a couple of years ago so I don't remember how that
occurred.) I found a relevant article for my current problem at
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_searc...FIOGBENZQ?reg=na&cc=us&docName=bps03850&lc=en
and tried to follow steps 2 thru 6.

I encountered problems along the way, e.g. some things that were to be
removed couldn't be removed because they were in use, or something like
that.

I'd love to be able to recover my old instance of Win2kProSP4 with all its
updates, because I've got a lot of installed software attached to that
instance.

I'm presently running a second instance of Win2kProSP4 with all its updates.
I noticed one symptom that may be relevant: the Device Manager makes no
mention of a USB port. There is no mention of the scanner anywer that I can
see. There is only on "?" device: My Xerox printer, and I'm sure that'll
be OK when I install its driver.

Finally, I'll use System Backup right now to save a copy of the registry in
the system32\repair folder (hopefully all hives in one fell swoop) and an
ERD. I've got to make sure the boot sequence starts with my primary CD
drive ... and I can't think of how to do that off hand, but I'll search
Google for that.

Again, thanks for your help, guys.
Richard

In said:
[...]

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml;jsessionid=4SMJ
SWGRMP2EBQFIOGBENZQ?reg=na&cc=us&docName=bps03850&lc=en and tried
[...]

It does seem that better preparation in advance (eg registry backups)
would have at least given you a way out. I'm afraid with the lack of
backups or at least some procedural notes or "tracking record"
available it will be rather difficult to do much. Someone on-site
might be able to "figure it out" given time perhaps.

You might like ERUNT for future use.
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

And perhaps an installation tracking tool for future use.

Also, in ntbackup.exe you can do an "ERD" backup and check the box
"Also backup..." (don't even need the floppy) to get those registry
hive files backed up to %systemroot%\repair\RegBack\. "System
State" backup not required just for this purpose alone.

If you "give up" you might consider just doing a "repair install"
("in-place installation") of the OS _over_ the original one which may
work and should leave applications mostly alone. Re-apply of SPs,
Hotfixes, etc. will be needed though. If it works to fix the
original problem.

Mark V

In said:
[...]

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your additional input.

ERUNT looks goood. I'll check it out after I recover I my dead instance (if
I can).
And perhaps an installation tracking tool for future use.

I checked out 4 pages (out of 13) from a Google search for "installation
tracking windows" without seeing such a tool. Do you have any suggestion
analogous to ERUNT, i.e. freeware or shareware, though I'll purchase one if
it really does what I need for effective recovery.
Also, in ntbackup.exe you can do an "ERD" backup and check the box
"Also backup..." (don't even need the floppy) to get those registry
hive files backed up to %systemroot%\repair\RegBack\. "System
State" backup not required just for this purpose alone.

I already did a backup with NTBackup on my current Win2K instance, but it
wasn't clear to me how I'd do a recovery if I couldn't even get the instance
with a defective registry to boot up.
If you "give up" you might consider just doing a "repair install"
("in-place installation") of the OS _over_ the original one which may
work and should leave applications mostly alone. Re-apply of SPs,
Hotfixes, etc. will be needed though. If it works to fix the
original problem.

I am ready to "give up." I tried to do a repair by booting from my Win2k
installation CD. Booting from the CD didn't work. I checked my boot
sequence in BIOS, and it was/is set to CD, then floppy and finally HD. I
checked Disk Manager with showed that CD0 contained a CD labeled W2PSEL_EN,
i.e. my Win2k install CD. I'm going to post a separate question about this.

However, the autorun.inf worked, so I'm going to try to reinstall over the
damaged version right now. I'll post again after I see how that goes.

Again, thanks for your help.

Regards,

In said:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your additional input.

ERUNT looks goood. I'll check it out after I recover I my dead
instance (if I can).

I checked out 4 pages (out of 13) from a Google search for
"installation tracking windows" without seeing such a tool. Do
you have any suggestion analogous to ERUNT, i.e. freeware or
shareware, though I'll purchase one if it really does what I need
for effective recovery.

Some listed here
http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Install~Uninstall_Tools.htm

InCtrl5 is no longer free (PC Magazine) but may be located from an
alternate source perhaps. And as one "free" example.
I already did a backup with NTBackup on my current Win2K instance,
but it wasn't clear to me how I'd do a recovery if I couldn't
even get the instance with a defective registry to boot up.

There is a manual procedure via RECOVERY CONSOLE wherein the backed
up version of the registry hive file(s) are copied over the
"current" (and presumably damaged) one(s). Assumes you have made the
backup of course. This would qualify as a manual recovery technique
for more advanced users. Look for posts by Dave Patrick as he
sometimes lists the procedure in this group. At opportunity you may
want to investigate the "can dos" and "cannot dos" of RC. You can
also install RC to the hard disk and boot to it from there.
I am ready to "give up." I tried to do a repair by booting from

If the Repair was not successful it may have made things worse
perhaps. No way to tell from here.
my Win2k installation CD. Booting from the CD didn't work. I
checked my boot sequence in BIOS, and it was/is set to CD, then
floppy and finally HD. I checked Disk Manager with showed that
CD0 contained a CD labeled W2PSEL_EN, i.e. my Win2k install CD.
I'm going to post a separate question about this.

Just be certain you have the Windows retail CD and not some OEM
version that automatically wipes out everything as some do. Cannot
address your booting issue directly. Could try making the "setup
diskette set" to get started.
However, the autorun.inf worked, so I'm going to try to
reinstall over the damaged version right now. I'll post again
after I see how that goes.

Good luck. New threads for specifics might be a good idea.

Mark V

In said:
[...]

Thanks for your additional input. I did update the old instance and it
wiped everything out .... but it was no problem, because I copied the
address book, favorites and local folders. In the meantime, I've been
using OE but leaving a copy of all mail on the server, so I can recover all
that stuff easily (I've done it before!).

Your additional info on backup/recovery looks great. Once I reinstall all
my apps, I'll checkout the process on an alternate instance of
win2k to see that I can really get it working properly.

Again, thank you for your generosity in providing me so much quality
guidance.

Best wishes,
Richard Muller ([email protected])

Richard L

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your additional input. I did update the old instance and it
wiped everything out .... but it was no problem, because I copied the
address book, favorites and local folders. In the meantime, I've been
using OE but leaving a copy of all mail on the server, so I can recover all
that stuff easily (I've done it before!).

Your additional info on backup/recovery looks great. Once I reinstall all
my apps, I'll checkout the process on an alternate instance of
win2k to see that I can really get it working properly.

Again, thank you for your generosity in providing me so much quality
guidance.

Best wishes,
Richard Muller ([email protected])

Mark V

In microsoft.public.win2000.registry Richard L wrote:

[ ]
Again, thank you for your generosity in providing me so much
quality guidance.
[ ]

You are most welcome and I hope that it was "quality" and helpful.
It is very nice to see an appreciative follow-up from time to time, so
I Thank You.