    /verbose"

    Any thoughts? Thanks.

    Mitch

    Mitch, Mar 2, 2009

  2. Mitch

    Malke Guest

    Mitch wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have XP home. I got a virus that has locked down components of the
    > computer. I get a access denied when trying to do administrative stuff.
    > Is there a way to Restore Default System Security Settings for XP Home. I
    > saw the following command line to do it, but it doesn't work for XP home.
    > "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb
    > /verbose"

    At this point, your best course of action is to back up your data and do a
    clean install of Windows. If you want to spend time on this instead, get
    guided help at one of the specialty forums listed below.

    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=4075 (FAQ)
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware_Removal_HiJackThis_Logs_Go_Here-f37.html
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7
    http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforum=170
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
    http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

    Malke, Mar 2, 2009

  3. Mitch

    Twayne Guest

    Malke wrote:
    > Mitch wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I have XP home. I got a virus that has locked down components of the
    >> computer. I get a access denied when trying to do administrative
    >> stuff. Is there a way to Restore Default System Security Settings
    >> for XP Home. I saw the following command line to do it, but it
    >> doesn't work for XP home. "secedit /configure /cfg
    >> %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose"

    > At this point, your best course of action is to back up your data and
    > do a clean install of Windows. If you want to spend time on this
    > instead, get guided help at one of the specialty forums listed below.
    >
    > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=4075 (FAQ)
    > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    > http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
    > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
    > http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    > http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware_Removal_HiJackThis_Logs_Go_Here-f37.html
    > http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7
    > http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforum=170
    > http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
    > http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/
    > http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    > http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?board=3.0
    > http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7
    >
    > Malke

    It might come down to having to do a clean install, but I think I'd try
    a Repair Install first, since it's faster and might well take care of
    the issues.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx
    As was mentioned, be sure to back up your important data first since
    even though this shouldn't damage any data, "stuff" happens. Always
    backup before touching the operating system.

    Between the two, you get a pretty good full description.

    If you do need to do a full install, these are a lot less reading:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm
    http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winxp/advanced/reinstall-format.html

    HTH,

    Twayne