Resetting passwords for Vista Home Premium

My son in law just received his new laptop (Dell Inspiron) he set up a user
account and proceeded to connect to his wireless router. All went well until
he installed the trial version of the Mcaffee software. After this
installation his windows password would not work ( error says that user name
or password is incorrect. If we try to login under administrator it tell us
the administrator account is disabled. Dell support has been no help and we
are not able to use the machine.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We know the password he used
was correct because he restarted the machine multiple times while doing the
new machine setup.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello John,
Reboot into Safe Mode and try to logon with either his user account or the
administrator account.
The rules in Safe Mode may allow the disabled administartor account to be
used for logon under certain scenarios.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?Sm9oblA=?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Resetting passwords for Vista Home Premium
|>Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:09:20 -0800
|>Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

|>My son in law just received his new laptop (Dell Inspiron) he set up a
user
|>account and proceeded to connect to his wireless router. All went well
until
|>he installed the trial version of the Mcaffee software. After this
|>installation his windows password would not work ( error says that user
name
|>or password is incorrect. If we try to login under administrator it tell
us
|>the administrator account is disabled. Dell support has been no help and
we
|>are not able to use the machine.
|>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We know the password he
used
|>was correct because he restarted the machine multiple times while doing
the
|>new machine setup.

I tried this and it didn't seem to work, I just bought my Inspiron 1501 and I
also haven't been able to use it and Dell is no help to me either, they said
they would call back in 2 hours and it has been three days...I have the
windows vista home basic and I tried the Safe Mode login on to my account and
it still gives me the same message "user id or password are incorrect" Help!

Do I need to go into Safe mode and then choose the Administrator logon at
that point, I tried this as well but don't exactly remember where I had the
option of choosing Admin and don't remember if I was in Safe mode at the time
and I received the Administrator is disabled. I have tried so many different
things and nothing seems to be working.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello John,
Reboot into Safe Mode and try to logon with either his user account or the
administrator account.
The rules in Safe Mode may allow the disabled administartor account to be
used for logon under certain scenarios.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?Sm9oblA=?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Resetting passwords for Vista Home Premium
|>Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:09:20 -0800
|>Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

|>My son in law just received his new laptop (Dell Inspiron) he set up a
user
|>account and proceeded to connect to his wireless router. All went well
until
|>he installed the trial version of the Mcaffee software. After this
|>installation his windows password would not work ( error says that user
name
|>or password is incorrect. If we try to login under administrator it tell
us
|>the administrator account is disabled. Dell support has been no help and
we
|>are not able to use the machine.
|>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We know the password he
used
|>was correct because he restarted the machine multiple times while doing
the
|>new machine setup.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
You are talking about a completely different scenario.
Logging on in Safe Mode with a disabled administrator account only works if
there are no local administrators left on the machine.
If there are other local administrator accounts, then the disabled
administrator account is still disabled even in Safe Mode.
With the reference to the account being disabled in Safe Mode your issue
appears to be a forgotten password and I can't help with that.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]