From: "Microsoft" <[email protected]>
To: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: Use this patch immediately !

Dear friend , use this Internet Explorer patch now!
There are dangerous virus in the Internet now!
More than 500.000 already infected!

Steven L Umbach

That was not from Microsoft whom NEVER sends out unsolicited patches in
emails. To protect yourself, make sure you use an antivirus program that
also scans all your emails and keep it up tp date. Many of these attacks are
so successful because they trick a user ino believing the attachment came
from a trusted source such as a friend. One way they do this is by using the
email addresses in the address book of an infected machine. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/authenticate_mail.asp

*Vanguard*

"Derek Strain" said in news:[email protected]:
This morning, I received a virus known as W32.Dumaru@mm
(through scanning) in my Yahoo! inbox. I would like to be
able to forward Microsoft a copy of this e-mail, but I
cannot locate any Microsoft addresses. Can anyone help?
The text of the e-mail is as follows:

From: "Microsoft" <[email protected]>
To: (e-mail address removed)

Dear friend , use this Internet Explorer patch now!
There are dangerous virus in the Internet now!
More than 500.000 already infected!

The virus is already known. How do you know? Because your anti-virus
software already listed its name. If it is known by your anti-virus
software (or whatever Yahoo is using) then it is a known virus. That means
Microsoft already knows about the virus. You don't need to report an
already known virus to Microsoft.

If instead you are concerned that the virus ladden e-mail came from
Microsoft, how long have you been using computers and how long have you been
using e-mail? Never heard of spam? Never heard of senders using bogus
e-mail addresses? Time for a reality check. Unless you are subscribed to
specific Microsoft services, like a developer using their SDKs or PDKs, or
have had prior communication with Microsoft and expect a return message from
them, do you really think Microsoft even knows about you or would bother to
send you a message? They're big. To them, you're nobody. That message was
NOT from Microsoft. Anyone can send e-mail and pretend to be anyone they
want!