Replacing the charger socket on a Dell Inspiron 1300

Reaction score
I've got an old Dell Inspiron 1300 which the kids use. I have quite happily changed the keyboard a couple of times but now the socket the power supply goes into is loose and it fails to charge properly.

Most of the maintenance jobs I've done I have found instructions for easily but can't find anything telling me how to repair/replace this.

Is this because it isn't possible or can someone tell me how to do it.

My other option is to get an old one off eBay, there are loads with broken screens, and put the hard drive, good screen etc from this one on. But obviously if mending the power socket is easy I'll opt for that.

In fact they are so easy to repair I am tempted to buy a couple of cheap old ones so the kids have one each.

Reaction score
If your good with a soldering iron its cheaper too do it yourself.

I wouldn't hesitate tbh

Make sure after removing the old socket you clean it well.
Try not to apply too much heat as the tracks can lift.
You will need an iron at least 25watts or getting the heat right the way through the board may prove difficult

Heres a link to a new Socket

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-Jack-P...s_LaptopCables_Connectors&hash=item2319556ad2

Before you buy it confirm it is the correct one ;)

Reaction score
Thanks guys, you are stars. I reckon without you lot giving me the confidence to change the keyboard the first time we would be on the third or fourth laptop by now.

Ask a Question