Removing Windows Messenger

Y

::YoungAdmin::

I have MSN Messenger 6.2 installed my computer. I have no problem with that
program since I installed it and use it to communicate.

I also have Windows Messenger Installed my computer. I do not want it. Every
time I open Outlook Express or some other program Windows Messenger always
open. Even when I tell it not to open it still runs in the back ground. How
can I permanently remove this?

By the way, what is the difference between MSN and Windows Messenger?

Also,

On my MSN Messenger 6.2 the default log in is set to auto save the password.
How can I change or remove the default user without saving the password?

Thank you.

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings YoungAdmin,

Although you can forcibly remove Windows Messenger, if you do, features like Remote
Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing within MSN Messenger 6.x and Windows will no
longer work. As well, some applications that specifically call on Messenger (like for
example Outlook Express) will appear to freeze or refuse to load as they try to start
Messenger (you can however, turn off this functionality to fix this problem).

Instead, you can simply disable Windows Messenger. To do so, open it up (click Start, then
Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this
Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on
version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger
to run in the background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so
features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work,
but it will let it stay out of your way.

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.

If you'd prefer to just remove Windows Messenger however, you can do so by following the
instructions here:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7

There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for
display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger
supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up
to you, and a matter of personal choice (and based upon your needs and likes), however one
thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for
MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application
Sharing, etc.).

MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).

You can't have a "default user" per say without saving the password, however, to remove the
saved passport, click the Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User
Accounts in the Control Panel. Select the Windows XP account name you're currently logged
under, and then on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network
Passwords'. In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry and click
'Remove'.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

G

I have your Outlook Express issue resolution as the very same thing
aggravated me for a very long time, and it doesn't even involve removing
Windows Messenger.
1. Open REGEDIT
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express
3. Create a DWORD value called "Hide Messenger" (without the quotes)
4. Assign it the hexadecimal value 2
5. Restart computer for good measure (I work IT, I always say this)

Now whenever you start Outlook Express, no more Window Messenger starting
up and you'll be amazed how quick it loads up now since it doesn't have to
wait for messenger.

G

Windows Messenger.
1. Open REGEDIT
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express

wait for messenger.

G

Windows Messenger.
1. Open REGEDIT
2. Browse to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE - SOFTWARE - Microsoft - Outlook Express

wait for messenger.

G

Jonathan Kay said:
Greetings YoungAdmin,

Although you can forcibly remove Windows Messenger, if you do, features like Remote
Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing within MSN Messenger 6.x and Windows will no
longer work. As well, some applications that specifically call on Messenger (like for
example Outlook Express) will appear to freeze or refuse to load as they try to start

Instead, you can simply disable Windows Messenger. To do so, open it up (click Start, then
Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this
Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on
version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger
to run in the background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so
features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work,

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.

If you'd prefer to just remove Windows Messenger however, you can do so by following the
instructions here:

There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for
display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger
supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up
to you, and a matter of personal choice (and based upon your needs and likes), however one
thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for
MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application
Sharing, etc.).

MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,

You can't have a "default user" per say without saving the password, however, to remove the
saved passport, click the Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User
Accounts in the Control Panel. Select the Windows XP account name you're currently logged
under, and then on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network
Passwords'. In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry and click
'Remove'.

G

Jonathan Kay said:
Greetings YoungAdmin,

instructions here:

Sharing, etc.).

'Remove'.

G

you ARE the man, thanks!! this drove me nuts for hours and you explained it
so well now i can give this computer to my kids without it logging onto to
messenger by itself.

Ask a Question